Gatley is a suburban area and the most westerly vicinity of the Metropolitan Borough of Stockport, in Greater Manchester, England. It is approximately three miles (5 km) from Manchester Airport, five miles (8 km) from Stockport town centre, and seven miles (11 km) from Manchester city centre. It is separated from its slightly larger neighbour, Cheadle, by the A34 and from Didsbury by the River Mersey.
The township of Stockport Etchells, covering Gatley and much of the area now in Heald Green (the area being based on previous ecclesiastical parishes) gained administrative responsibilities in the 16th century, as the old powers of the lord of the manor waned, and manoral rule became more by consent and custom. In the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, Stockport Etchells and Northen Etchells were frequently administered together as Etchells.
The townships of Stockport Etchells, Cheadle Moseley and Cheadle Bulkeley were merged into the Cheadle and Gatley Urban District in 1894. From 1894 until 1974, Gatley was a part of the urban district of Cheadle and Gatley, within the historic county boundaries of Cheshire.
Local Parish Churches
St. Mary the Virgin, the parish church (Church of England) in Stockport was the ancient parish church for the township of Stockport Etchells. From 1839 St. Thomas's Church in Stockport was the district church for Stockport Etchells. In 1882 St. James the Apostle Church in Gatley became the district church. A Congregational chapel was founded in 1778 in Gatley. Registers of baptisms 1779-1944 and burials 1823-1950 are at Manchester Central Library.