Wythenshawe (pop. 86,000) is a district which has been in the south of the city centre of Manchester, England since 1931.
The area transferred to Manchester from the county of Cheshire in 1931 included the civil parishes of Northenden, Northen Etchells and Baguley which had all been townships of the ancient parish of Northenden. The present-day name Wythenshawe was adopted when they were merged with Manchester in 1931. Until then, the name had referred only to Wythenshawe Hall and its grounds.
For many centuries the Tatton family owned Wythenshawe Hall and much land in what is now Wythenshawe. Manchester Corporation, which was in desperate need of land to house the city's rapidly increasing population, pressured Robert Henry Grenville Tatton to part with the land in 1926. What was once farmland was transformed into one of the largest housing estates in Europe. With an area of approximately 11 square miles (28 km2), Wythenshawe has been referred to as one of the largest council housing estates in Europe, although private ownership in the area has grown and thus reduced the council stock.
The district comprises nine areas: Baguley, Benchill and Newall Green which were for the most part in Baguley, Northenden, its former community of Northern Moor, Northen Etchells and its communities of Woodhouse Park, Moss Nook, Peel Hall and Sharston. The boundaries of these areas have changed throughout the district's history, and previously known areas such as Brownley Green (or Brownlow Green) and Crossacres have since been assimilated into Northen Etchells, though many residents still refer to them by name. [Places in italics have been redirected to the preceding former parish. Many have separate short articles in Wikipedia.]
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Wythenshawe.