|Alt names||Frampton-Cotterell||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Frantone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 112|
|Type||Village, Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Avon, England (1974 - 1996)|
|Gloucestershire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Langley and Swineshead (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1835-1974|
|South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England||unitary authority of which it has been a part since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Frampton Cotterell is a village and parish, in South Gloucestershire, south west England on the River Frome. The village is contiguous with Winterbourne to the south-west and Coalpit Heath to the east. The parish borders Iron Acton to the north and Westerleigh to the south-east, the large town of Yate is away. The village is north-east of the city of Bristol.
The village has evolved from a once rural Gloucestershire village, to a partial dormitory village for Bristol. The population according to the UK crime statistics was around 9,385 and is increasing.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Frampton Cotterell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "FRAMPTON-COTTERELL, a village and a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Frome, 2½ miles WSW of Yate [railway] station, and 4 W by S of Chipping-Sodbury; and has a post office under Bristol. The parish includes the tything of Wick-Wick. Acres: 2,120. Real property: £6,167; of which £51 are in quarries. Population: 1,931. Houses: 418. The property is much subdivided. Hat-making and other manufactures are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £520. Patron: the Rev. W. Fox. The church was rebuilt in 1859, at a cost of £4,931; is in the late perpendicular and debased styles; and consists of nave, chancel, and S aisle, with tower and vestry. A portion of the parish, with a population of 920, is in the chapelry of Coalpit-Heath. There are three dissenting chapels, two public schools, and a private lunatic asylum.
- Bristol Archives is where paper and microfilm copies of all records for Bristol and its environs are stored.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837). The GENUKI page for the parish will confirm which archive provider has its records.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- MAPS. Most Wikipedia maps for places in the Bristol area have outline maps indicating the location of the suburb under discussion. Another online map that may be useful is this Ordnance Survey map originally made in 1930 and with revisions to 1946.
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover all of Bristol--and the area that was originally in Gloucestershire is sadly omitted, save for the information on the churches in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 2
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Langley and Swineshead (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England | Frampton Cotterell, Gloucestershire, England | Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England