|Alt names||Fylton||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Town, Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Avon, England (1974 - 1996)|
|Gloucestershire, England (1996 - )|
|See also||Berkeley (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Barton Regis Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1904|
|Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1904-1935|
|Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1935-1974|
|South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England||unitary authority in which it has been located since 1996|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Filton is a town in South Gloucestershire, situated on the northern outskirts of the city of Bristol, about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) from the city centre. The town centres upon Filton Church, which dates back to the 12th century and is a grade II listed building. The name of the town comes from the Old English feleþe (hay), and tūn (farm, field). The name dates back to at least 1187. Its population, according to the UK census of 2011, was just over 10,000.
Filton was in Gloucestershire until 1974 during which time it was part of three rural districts. In 1974 it became part of the newly formed county of Avon. In 1996 the Avon authority was abolished and the area became part of the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire and rejoined the ceremonial county of Gloucestershire.
Between the wars Filton expanded rapidly to become a "suburb" of Bristol. Terraced and semi-detached housing, in small estates on both sides of the A38 trunk road, replaced arable land. Eventually, Filton became part of the Bristol conurbation, although it has always remained outside the city boundary.
Filton's reason for existence has been, largely, aviation. It has an aerospace connection dating back to the early days of the Bristol Aeroplane Company. Aerospace companies now in Filton include BAE Systems, Airbus, Rolls-Royce and wikipedia:MBDA missile sytems, all with factories located around Bristol-Filton airfield. On 26 November 2003, the final ever Concorde flight touched down at Filton to be kept there permanently as the centrepiece of an air museum.
Other communities in the area of Filton are Frenchay, Patchway and Bradley Stoke, Filton Park, Northville and East Filton (in Stoke Gifford).
- Bristol Archives is where paper and microfilm copies of all records for Bristol and its environs are stored.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837). The GENUKI page for the parish will confirm which archive provider has its records.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- MAPS. Most Wikipedia maps for places in the Bristol area have outline maps indicating the location of the suburb under discussion. Another online map that may be useful is this Ordnance Survey map originally made in 1930 and with revisions to 1946.
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover all of Bristol--and the area that was originally in Gloucestershire is sadly omitted, save for the information on the churches in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 2
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Berkeley (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Barton Regis Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Chipping Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Sodbury Rural, Gloucestershire, England | South Gloucestershire, Gloucestershire, England | Avon, England