Winterbourne is a large village and civil parish since 1974 in the district of South Gloucestershire, England. The village had a population of 8,623 in the 2001 census. The Civil Parish of Winterbourne is centred on the village but also encompasses the neighbouring communities of Winterbourne Down, Hambrook and Frenchay. (These communities have all been redirected here in WeRelate, but there is an article on Hambrook in Wikipedia and Frenchay is described below.) To the north-east is the village and parish of Frampton Cotterell and to the west lies the new town of Bradley Stoke.
Much of Winterbourne is located on a hill. The village is partially surrounded by woodlands and fields, most with public access, but urban development has greatly reduced these areas. The River Frome snakes its way through a scenic valley from Frampton Cotterell (north-east of Winterbourne) and on towards Frenchay. The Bradley Brook flows from Bradley Stoke and Stoke Gifford to the west and joins the Frome near Winterbourne. Since the 1960s the M4 motorway has bypassed the village to the south and west.
The Parish Church is St Michael's, a building believed to date from the 12th century and which celebrated its 800th anniversary in 1998. Set away from the bustle of modern Winterbourne, St Michael's now sits amidst green fields and attractive cottages with its distinctive spire visible for miles around. It is believed that the original village of Winterbourne was located here. Winterbourne Court Farm Barn is close to St Michael's Church. This is a grade II* listed 14th century tithe barn – an outstanding example of its type.
As well as being the centre of an extensive civil parish, Winterbourne contains the hamlet of Watley's End, nestled on the border between Winterbourne and Frampton Cotterell. Nowadays, it is regarded as an area of Winterbourne, but a few decades ago (and still by a number of older residents) it was considered to be a separate village. People with a sense of identity in Watley's End refer to the busy, uphill part of the village as 'Winterbourne Hill'. Salem, the local Methodist church, is in Watley's End.
Frenchay is a village, now a suburb of Bristol, England, to the north east of the city, but located mainly in South Gloucestershire and the Civil Parish of Winterbourne. The village is situated between the B4058 road, which runs parallel to the M32 motorway, and the wooded River Frome valley.
Frenchay was first recorded in 1257 as Fromscawe and later as Fromeshaw, meaning "the wood on the Frome". Frenchay's largest place of worship is the Anglican church of John the Baptist, adjacent to the large village common, which is overlooked by period houses. Also overlooking the common is the village school which dates from 1842. The village also contains a Catholic church, a Quaker Meeting House and a Unitarian chapel. W G Grace (1848-1915), the famous Victorian cricketer, whose family lived in the next village, was captain of the village cricket team and played on the common. Frenchay Cricket club is the local club now.
Frenchay is also home to Frenchay Hospital, greatly expanded during World War II for the US Army, which treated wounded soldiers returning from the D-Day landings in Normandy. Frenchay is still one of Bristol's major hospitals, and is famous for its burns unit.
Frenchay's earliest place of worship was the Quaker Meeting House. The present one dates from 1809, and it replaced an earlier one of 1670.
Many Quaker merchants from nearby Bristol made their homes here, including Joseph Storrs Fry (1767-1835), the Quaker chocolate manufacturer, who styled his company J S Fry & Sons. He moved to Grove House (now Riverwood House) in 1800. He died in 1835 and is buried in the burying ground behind the Meeting House along with his wife and daughter, Pricilla.
Frenchay Park, an adjacent suburb, is situated within Bristol city limits.
Online sources which may also be helpful: