|Alt names||Ferentone||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 52|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Village|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was situated|
|Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part 1837-1871|
|Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England||registration district of which it was part after 1871|
|Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England||unitary authority in which it is located since 2009|
|Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Farndon has been since 2009 a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is located on the banks of the River Dee, south of Chester. It is bounded on the west by the principality of Wales. At the 2001 Census, the village had a population of 1,517.
Farndon was an ancient parish and before 1866 included the townships of Barton, Churton-by-Farndon, Clutton and Crewe-by-Farndon.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Farndon from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "FARNDON, a village, a township, and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The village stands on the river Dee, 4 miles ESE of Rossett [railway] station, and 7½ S of Chester; was known at Domesday as Forendon; is connected, by a ten-arched bridge, with Holt in Wales; and has a post office under Chester, and fairs on 4 April and 4 Oct. The township comprises 1,025 acres. Real property: £2,930. Population: 557. Houses: 102.
- "The parish contains also the townships of Barton, Clutton, Crewe, and Churton-by-Farndon. Acres: 2,856. Real property: £6,378. Population: 992. Houses: 191. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value: £115. Patron, the Marquis of Westminster. The church was rebuilt on the site of one burnt in 1645; was repaired in 1869; and includes a chapel of the Barnston family, rebuilt in 1869. There are two Primitive Methodist chapels, an endowed school, a national school, a reading room , and charities £15. Major Barnston, who served in the Crimean war, is commemorated by an obelisk; and John Speed, the antiquary [and mapmaker], was a native."
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Broxton (hundred), Cheshire, England | Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, England | Chester Registration District, Cheshire, England | Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, England | Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, England | Farndon, Cheshire, England
Help fund new features!