Fallowfield Village was originally settled in the 1820s by Irish immigrants from Tipperary and Cork Counties at which time the majority of Carleton County was similarly settled. There are two churches, both along Steeple Hill; St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church built in 1833 with the current stone chapel completed in 1866 and the Fallowfield United Church built in 1868 with the current chapel completed in 1886. The cornerstone for the United (then Methodist) church was laid by Canada's first Prime Minister, Sir John A. Macdonald. The name for the area was Piety Hill but the village name was not formalized to Fallowfield until June 1, 1872, with the appointment of a postmaster, P. Omeara, and the opening of a post office. As a direct result of this action, the village received its name, the origin of which was inspired by nearby fields that were in the process of being fallowed for the summer and is not historically linked to Fallowfield, in Manchester, England. The post office was closed June 30, 1914. For a timeline perspective, the Rideau Canal was built between 1826 and 1832 and the village of Richmond, to the southwest, was settled in 1818.
Fallowfield village was a strategic stop over point for travels between Perth, Richmond, Ontario and Bytown (later to become Ottawa). By the turn of the century, Fallowfield was a bustling village and it became a favourite stopping place for travelers, especially farmers with their produce wagons and horse teams, on route to and from the market in Ottawa. At one time there were four hotels in the village to serve the traveling public. In addition, there were three carriage shops, two blacksmiths, a grist mill, tailor shop, cheese factory, shoemaker, general store and weigh scales for the farmers to weigh their produce. The widespread use of the automobile most likely rendered the village into a bedroom community as farther distances could be traveled in one day with no need for stop overs like what Fallowfield village offered.
Fallowfield village was originally part of Carleton County, Nepean but has been within the City of Ottawa since January 1, 2001 as part of amalgamation.
Old Richmond Road used to follow what is now known as Steeple Hill, the current name coming from the fact that no less than four churches were located in a one kilometer stretch of road. These churches are, from North to South: St. Patrick's Catholic (1866), St. Barnabas Anglican (1889), St. John's Presbyterian(1886) and Fallowfield Methodist(1886). In 1925 the United Church was formed between the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregationalist and St. John's Presbyterian was vacated and demolished in the 1940s. St. Barnabas Anglican was also demolished in the 1940s and only two churches of the original churches remain today.
Map of Ottawa and Carleton County from Wikipedia Commons
The primary source for basic documents (vital statistics, land records, wills) for people who lived in the Province of Ontario is the Archives of Ontario, 134 Ian Macdonald Blvd, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M7A 2C5.
Civil registration did not begin in the province until 1869. Before then there may be church records of baptisms and burials. For the most part these are still held by the denomination who recorded them. Copies of marriage records made pre-1869 had to be sent by individual clergymen to the registrar of the county in which the marriage took place. These marriage records are available through Ontario Archives, on micorfilm through LDS libraries, and on paid and unpaid websites, but because they were copied at the registrars' offices, they cannot be considered a primary source.
Vital Records after 1869
Birth, marriage and death registrations are not open to the public until a specific number of years after the event occurred. Births to 1914 are now available [October 2012]; dates for marriages and deaths are later. Birth and death registration was not universally carried out in the early years after its adoption. Deaths were more apt to be reported than births for several years. The more rural the area, the less likely it would be that these happenings were reported to the authorities.
Land Records and Wills
Information on how to access land records and wills is best sought on the Archives of Ontario website. An ancestor's land holding might be found on Canadian County Atlas Digital Project if he was in occupancy circa 1878.
Association for the Preservation of Ontario Land Registry Office Documents (APOLROD). A list of Land Registry Offices for all Counties of Ontario.
The original censuses are in the hands of Library and Archives Canada. All of the original census (1851-1911) images are online with the exception of that for 1861. Not all of them are indexed. Later censuses are not yet available. Census divisions were redrawn as the population increased and more land was inhabited.
E-books and Books
Researching in Eastern Ontario
The website of the Ottawa Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society offers a number of search engines for databases of material they maintain:
The Society covers the counties of Carleton (combined with the city of Ottawa), Lanark, Renfrew, Prescott and Russell. There is a note on the website that the URL will be changing soon (Jun 2012). It may be best to “google” the Ottawa Branch of OGS.