|Alt names||East-Leach-Turville||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Lecce||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 112|
|Lece||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 112|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1935)|
|See also||Brightwells Barrow Hundred, Gloucestershire, England||hundred of which part of it was a part|
|Slaughter Hundred, Gloucestershire, England||hundred of which part of it was a part|
|Barrington, Gloucestershire, England||parish into which part was absorbed in 1935|
|Eastleach, Gloucestershire, England||parish into which part was absorbed in 1935|
|Northleach Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Cotswold District, Gloucestershire, England||district municipality in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Eastleach Turville from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "EAST-LEACH-TURVILLE, a parish in Northleach [registration] district, Gloucester; on the river Leach and on Icknield-street, 4 miles N of Lechlade, and 11½ WSW of Witney [railway] station. It has a post office under Swindon. Acres: 2,670. Real property: £3, 187. Population: 506. Houses: 105. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £66. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of [Gloucester]. There are a [Primitive] Methodist chapel and a national school."
Eastleach Turville parish was abolished in 1935 and the major part of the area was transferred to the new parish of Eastleach and a much smaller part going to the new parish of Barrington (formerly Great Barrington and Little Barrington). Both Eastleach and Barrington civil parishes have been part of the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire since 1974. Refer to the maps Gloucester Parishes in 1900 and Gloucester Parishes in 1931 to observe the changes.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Volume 6 of A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online has a chapter on Great and Little Barrington which includes references to Eastleach Turville.
- Three maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrate the changes in political boundaries over the period 1830-1945. All have expanding scales and on the second and third this facility is sufficient that individual parishes can be inspected.
- Gloucestershire Hundreds as drawn in 1832. This map was prepared before The Great Reform Act of that year. Note the polling places and representation of the various parts of the county.
- Gloucestershire in 1900, an Ordnance Survey map showing rural districts, the boundaries of the larger towns, the smaller civil parishes of the time, and some hamlets and villages in each parish
- Gloucestershire in 1943, an Ordnance Survey map showing the rural districts after the changes to their structure in the 1930s
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. The compiler has gone to a lot of work to provide this material. Respect his copyright.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- English Jurisdictions, a supplementary website to FamilySearch outlining local parish boundaries in the middle on the 19th century. The information provided is especially useful for establishing the relationship of the ecclesiastical parishes in large towns and cathedral cities.
- Ancestry UK has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Eastleach Turville, Gloucestershire, England | Brightwells Barrow Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Slaughter Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Barrington, Gloucestershire, England | Eastleach, Gloucestershire, England | Northleach Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold District, Gloucestershire, England