It was home to the prominent English Montagu family in the 18th century whose residence was East Denton Hall. To the east of the Hall a waggonway led from the Caroline Pit to the coal staiths by the river Tyne in nearby Scotswood.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of East Denton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
East Denton was a township in the ancient parish of Newburn and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1935 it was considered a civil parish within the Urban District of Newburn, and in 1935 it was absorbed into the civil parish of Newburn itself. Newburn became part of Newcastle upon Tyne in Northumberland in 1935 and of the City of Newcastle upon Tyne in the newly formed county of Tyne and Wear in 1974.