A Vision of Britain through Time states that Duxbury was a civil parish in Chorley Rural District from 1894 until 1934 when it was absorbed into the town of Chorley. Prior to 1894 it was part of Leyland subdistrict of Chorley Registration District and Poor Law Union, and a township in the ancient parish of Standish in the Leyland Hundred.
Wikipedia states that Duxbury Woods is an area of woodland and parkland situated in Chorley, at the foot of the West Pennine Moors. The area originally existed as a township with the council meeting at the Yarrow Bridge pub; this was absorbed into Chorley Rural Council in the early 20th century."
Duxbury is also purported to be the home of The Reverend William Brewster of Plymouth Colony.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Duxbury from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72: