|Alt names||Disley-Stanley||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Cockshead||source: hamlet in parish|
|Danebank||source: hamlet in parish|
|Hagg Bank||source: hamlet in parish|
|Jackson's Edge||source: hamlet in parish|
|Lane Ends in Disley||source: hamlet in parish|
|Lightalders||source: hamlet in parish|
|Woodend in Disley||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Stockport, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Disley Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Disley is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It is located on the very edge of the Peak District, in the Goyt Valley, very close to the county boundary with Derbyshire at New Mills, and south of Stockport, Greater Manchester. To the north of the village, the River Goyt and the Peak Forest Canal, which opened in 1800, passes along the edge of the village. Today it is a dormitory village retaining a semi-rural character.
Disley railway station is on the Manchester to Buxton line, with through trains to Preston and Blackpool.
The parish includes part of the neighbouring village of Newtown, the bulk of which is in Derbyshire.
- GENUKI provides the following information
Disley was a township in Stockport ancient parish in Macclesfield Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. Disley was subject to some boundary changes: (1) in 1894 the Newtown and Furness Vale areas were transferred to the county of Derbyshire; (2) in 1936 there were further alterations to the county boundary with Lancashire.
The parish includes the hamlets of Cockshead, Danebank, Hagg Bank, High Lane (part), Jackson's Edge, Lane Ends in Disley, Lightalders and Woodend in Disley. Part of part High Lane in Marple is in Disley, as is part of Newtown in Derbyshire) . The population was 995 in 1801, 2,225 in 1851, 2,827 in 1901, 2,865 in 1951, and 4,301 in 2001.
"Sir Piers Legh of Lyme Park in the adjacent parish of Lyme Handley founded St. Mary-the-Virgin Church in Disley (completed 1524) and consecrated as parish church in 1558. The earliest parish register is from 1591."
There was a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel founded 1805 (registers of baptisms 1875-1907 and 1927-1932 are at Manchester Central Library) and a Baptist Union chapel built in 1893. (Source: GENUKI)
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Disley.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Disley, Cheshire, England | Stockport, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield Hundred, Cheshire, England | Disley Rural, Cheshire, England | Macclesfield District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England