The village toponym is a common one in England. It is Old English in origin, and refers to a place which has received a Royal charter of some description. It is not known the type of charter to which it refers in this case.
Before the Norman conquest of England, the manor of Buckland was held by the Diocese of Dorchester-on-Thames in Oxfordshire under the control of Godric. After 1066 William I granted it to the Bishop of Lincoln. It remained so until the 16th century when the then tenant, the Earl of Warwick forfeited it to the Crown. By 1584 it had been passed to Robert Dormer, 1st Earl of Carnarvon. Robert was killed fighting on the Royalist side during the English Civil War at the first Battle of Newbury. His lands, including Buckland, were confiscated by the Parliamentarians but were recovered in 1653 by the Charles Dormer, 2nd Earl of Carnarvon and held until death in 1709. Through marriage it passed to Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield and remained in the family until George Hassall of Cholesbury acquired it around 1815. Subsequent Lords of the Manor included John Atkinson and Peter Parott.
The Church of England parish church of All Saints, Buckland was built in 1284. A Wesleyan chapel was built in 1831, although not recognised as a religious location by the authorities until 1837. The Church remains a place of worship, however the Chapel has since been converted into a house. The village is famed for once having 13 pubs.
During the 16th century land at the southern end of the parish of Buckland which had been progressively cleared of scrub was transformed from an area of temporary summer pasture to one of permanent settlement subsequently to become known as Buckland Common. It remained a remote outpost of Buckland parish until becoming part of the newly created parish of Cholesbury-cum-St Leonards in 1934.
Birth, marriage and death certificates can now be ordered online from Buckinghamshire County Council. The full postal address is Buckinghamshire Register Office, County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1YU.
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (County Hall, Walton Street, Aylesbury, HP20 1UU) holds
In Buckinghamshire, as with other counties in England and Wales, the location of offices where Births, Marriages and Deaths were registered has altered with other changes in local government. A list of the location of Registration Offices since civil registration began in 1837 has been prepared by GENUKI (Genealogy: United Kingdom and Ireland). The table also gives details of when each Registration Office was in existence. In the case of Buckinghamshire, the same registration offices were used for the censuses since 1851.
Nineteenth Century Local Administration
English Jurisdictions is a webpage provided by FamilySearch which analyses every ecclesiastical parish in England at the year 1851. It provides, with the aid of outline maps, the date at which parish records and bishops transcripts begin, non-conformist denominations with a chapel within the parish, the names of the jurisdictions in charge: county, civil registration district, probate court, diocese, rural deanery, poor law union, hundred, church province; and links to FamilySearch historical records, FamilySearch Catalog and the FamilySearch Wiki. Two limitations: only England, and at the year 1851.
During the 19th century two bodies, the Poor Law Union and the Sanitary District, had responsibility for governmental functions at a level immediately above that covered by the civil parish. In 1894 these were replace by Rural and Urban Districts. These were elected bodies, responsible for setting local property assessments and taxes as well as for carrying out their specified duties. Thses districts continued in operation until 1974. Urban districts for larger municipalities were called "Municipal Boroughs" and had additional powers and obligations.
Poor Law Unions, established nationally in 1834, combined parishes together for the purpose of providing relief for the needy who had no family support. This led to the building of '"union poorhouses" or "workhouses" funded by all the parishes in the union. The geographical boundaries established for the individual Poor Law Unions were employed again when Registration Districts were formed three years later. In 1875 Sanitary Districts were formed to provide services such as clean water supply, sewage systems, street cleaning, and the clearance of slum housing. These also tended to follow the same geographical boundaries, although there were local alterations caused by changes in population distribution.
Online Historical References