- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bromesberrow or Bromsberrow is a village and civil parish which, since 1974, has been located in the Forest of Dean District of Gloucestershire, England. From 1894 until 1974 it was in Newent Rural District.
The village is close to the meeting point between Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, and Worcestershire. The nearest town is Ledbury, about four miles north in Herefordshire.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bromsberrow from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BROMSBORROW, a parish in Newent [registration] district, Gloucester; on the verge of the county, 4 miles SE of Ledbury [railway] station. Post Town, Ledbury. Acres: 1,803. Real property: £3,206. Population: 305. Houses: 51. The property is divided among a few. Bromsborrow Place belonged to the Yateses, and passed to the Ricardos. Bromsborrow Heath is a meet for the Ledbury hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value: £339. Patron: Earl Beauchamp. The church is ancient and excellent; and has monuments of the Yateses. Charities, £5."
Newent (1837 - 1937)
Gloucester Rural (1937 - 1974)
Gloucester (post-1974) (1974 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Bromsberrow, Gloucestershire, England | Botloe Hundred, Gloucestershire, England | Newent Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester Rural Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucester (post-1974) Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Newent Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean District, Gloucestershire, England