|Located in||Worcestershire, England ( - 1931)|
|Also located in||Gloucestershire, England (1931 - )|
|See also||Oswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Shipton-on-Stour Rural, Worcestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1931|
|Campden Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district to which Blockley was transferred in 1931|
|North Cotswold Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1935-1974|
|Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England||district municipality in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Blockley is a village and civil parish now in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England, about 3 miles (4.8 km) northwest of Moreton-in-Marsh. The civil parish includes the hamlets of Draycott, Paxford and Aston Magna, and the deserted hamlets of Northwick and Upper Ditchford. According to the UK census of 2001, it had a population of close to 2,000.
Blockley village is on Blockley Brook, a tributary of Knee Brook. Knee Brook forms the northeastern boundary of the parish and is a tributary of the River Stour.
Until 1931 Blockley was an exclave or detached parish of Worcestershire. On the diagrammatic map on the right, Blockley is at the foot of the grey space between the parts of Campden Rural District. Following the passing of the Local Government Act 1929, county councils gained the power to adjust boundaries by negotiation, subject to ministerial approval. At a public inquiry in Cheltenham, a scheme was set up to transfer parishes between Gloucestershire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire in December 1930. The alterations required were approved by the House of Commons and came into force on 1 April 1931. Blockley was thus transferred from Worcestershire to Gloucestershire and became part of Campden Rural District.
In 1935 Campden Rural District was abolished and its area redistributed. The bulk of the district was merged with Stow-on-the-Wold urban and rural districts to form the new North Cotswold Rural District.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Worcestershire illustrates the parish boundaries of Worcestershire when rural districts were still in existence and before the West Midlands came into being. The map publication year is 1931. The map blows up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- British History Online has a collection of local maps from the Ordnance Survey 1883-1893. Rural areas are included, but these may be especially useful for investigation the suburbs of large towns.
- GENUKI makes a great many suggestions as to other websites with worthwhile information about Worcestershire as well as leading to a collection of 19th century descriptions of each of the ecclesiastical parishes.
- The Midlands Historical Data project produces searchable facsimile copies of old local history books and directories of interest to genealogists. It specialises in the three counties of Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire, working closely with libraries, archives and family history societies in the area. Digital images are made freely available to participating organisations to improve public access. Free search index on its web-site to all its books. In many cases payment will be required to see the extract.
- organization charts of the hierarchies of parishes within hundreds, registration districts and rural and urban districts of the 20th century
- excerpts from a gazetteer of circa 1870 outlining individual towns and parishes
- reviews of population through the time period 1800-1960
- More local sources can often be found by referring to "What Links Here" in the column on the left.
Categories: Worcestershire, England | Oswaldslow (hundred), Worcestershire, England | Shipton-on-Stour Rural, Worcestershire, England | Campden Rural, Gloucestershire, England | North Cotswold Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire, England | Blockley, Worcestershire, England