Stow-on-the-Wold is a small market town and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England. It is situated on top of an 800 ft (244 m) hill, at the convergence of a number of major roads through the Cotswolds, including the Fosse Way (A429). The town was founded as a planned market place by Norman lords to take advantage of trade on the converging roads. Fairs have been held by royal charter since 1330 and an annual horse fair is still held on the edge of the town.
For several centuries up to 1894 the ancient parish was divided administratively into three parts, namely, the town of Stow and the hamlets of Maugersbury and Donnington. (Source:A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 6/Slaughter hundred, p 142)
Stow on the Wold was an urban district from 1894 until 1935. In 1935 it became part of the North Cotswold Rural District.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Stow-on-the-Wold.
Online sources which may also be helpful: