- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Maugersbury is a village and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England. Situated less than a mile south-east of the market town of Stow-on-the-Wold and approximately 18 miles (29 km) east of its post town, Cheltenham, Maugersbury lies within the Cotswolds Hills and in the Cotswold District. At the 2001 United Kingdom census, the parish had a population of 149.
Maugersbury became a civil parish in its own right in 1866. Prior to that date civil and parish records are more apt to be found under Stow-on-the-Wold.
Stow-on-the-Wold (1837 - 1937)
North Cotswold (1937 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Stow-on-the-Wold in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 6/Slaughter hundred in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online has many references to Maugersbury
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county