Place:Austerson, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameAusterson
Alt namesOld Hall Austersonsource: from redirect
Austertonsource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.038°N 2.516°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoActon, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Austerson is a civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England, lying immediately south of the town of Nantwich and north of the village of Audlem. Predominantly rural with scattered farms, the civil parish includes the small settlement of Old Hall Austerson about two miles south of Nantwich centre. In 2001, the total population was a little under 150. Nearby parishes include Hankelow, Sound and Stapeley.

The civil parish has a total area of 950 acres (380 ha). The River Weaver forms much of the eastern boundary of the civil parish, and an unnamed brook forms part of the western boundary. The land is generally flat with an average elevation of around 50 metres, sloping downwards near the eastern boundary to the narrow river valley of the Weaver. There are several small meres and unnamed brooks. A narrow strip of broad-leaved woodland runs along a brook south of Dairy House Farm.

GENUKI provides the following information

Austerson was a township in Acton ancient parish in Nantwich Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The ancient parish church for the township of Austerson was St. Mary's in Acton. After 1930 St. Mary's in Nantwich became the district church for Austerson.

The parish population was 59 in 1801, 55 in 1851, 36 in 1901, 68 in 1951, and 145 in 2001.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Austerson. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.