Acton (near Nantwich) is a small village and civil parish lying immediately west of the town of Nantwich in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The civil parish also includes the small settlement of Dorfold and part of Burford, and in the 21st century has a total population of a little over 300. It is administered jointly with the adjacent civil parishes of Henhull and Edleston. Historically, Acton refers to a township and also to an ancient parish in the Nantwich Hundred covering a wide area to the west of Nantwich.
The area is agricultural, with dairy farming the main industry. Around a third of the area falls within the Dorfold Estate. Historically, agriculture was the major employer, but it has now been overtaken by the service industries, with many residents commuting significant distances outside the parish to work.
The civil parish is believed to have been inhabited since the 8th or 9th century. It contains many historic buildings, including two listed at grade I: Dorfold Hall, a Jacobean house, while St. Mary's Church has a tower dating from the 13th century, one of the earliest in the county.
The population was 262 in 1801, 351 in 1851, 258 in 1901, 293 in 1951, and 311 in 2001. (Source: GENUKI)
St. Mary's Church
There is a separate article on St. Mary's Church in Wikipedia. A church has been present on this site since before the time of the Domesday Survey of 1086. The tower is the oldest in Cheshire, although it had to be largely rebuilt after it fell in 1757. One unusual feature of the interior of the church is that the old stone seating around its sides has been retained. In the south aisle are some ancient carved stones dating back to the Norman era.
The article mentions members of the various local families who contributed to the building of the church over the centuries since its founding. The church and its lands were given by the second Baron of Wich Malbank to Combermere Abbey early in the 12th century. Following the dissolution of the monasteries, the advowson or patronage was granted to Richard Wilbraham and it then passed to the Lords Tollemache. (Wilbraham Tollemache is represented here in WeRelate.)