|Alt names||Appleton Cross||source: hamlet in parish|
|Appleton Thorn||source: hamlet in parish|
|Broomfield||source: hamlet in parish|
|The Cobbs||source: hamlet in parish|
|Dudlows Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Hillcliffe||source: hamlet in parish|
|Lumb Brook||source: hamlet in parish|
|Wrights Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Apletune||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 52|
|Hull and Appleton||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Great Budworth, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Runcorn Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1974|
|Warrington District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Appleton is a civil parish and suburb of Warrington in Cheshire, England. The A49 road runs from neighbouring Stockton Heath up the hill into Appleton and links Warrington town centre with the M56 motorway.
At the top of Appleton is the large Fox Covert Cemetery which has excellent views overlooking the whole of Warrington. It is locally called Hillcliffe.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Appleton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "APPLETON, or Hull and Appleton, a township in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire; near the Bridgewater canal, 3 miles SE of Warrington. Acres: 3,324. Real property: £9,571. Population: 1,828. Houses: 376. Here are Appleton Lodge, and Independent, Baptist, and Wesleyan chapels."
Appleton was one of the townships of the parish of Great Budworth in Bucklow Hundred. It includes the hamlets of Appleton Cross, Appleton Thorn, Broomfield, The Cobbs, Dudlows Green, Hillcliffe, Lumb Brook, and Wrights Green. In 1896-1897 it lost significant parts of its area to Stockton Heath and Latchford. The population was 1206 in 1801, 1828 in 1851, 744 in 1901, 4,636 in 1951, and 10,477 in 2001. (Source: GENUKI)
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Appleton, Cheshire, England | Great Budworth, Cheshire, England | Bucklow Hundred, Cheshire, England | Runcorn Rural, Cheshire, England | Warrington District, Cheshire, England