Great Budworth is a civil parish and village, approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) north of Northwich, England, within the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire. It lies off the A559 road, east of Comberbach, northwest of Higher Marston and southeast of Budworth Heath. Until 1948, Great Budworth was part of the Arley Hall estate.
It was situated in the Hundred of Bucklow and deanery of Frodsham. At 15 miles (24 km) in length and 10 miles (16 km) in width, it was considered to be the largest parish in Cheshire, except Prestbury. The parish contained nineteen townships: Budworth, Anderton, Appleton cum Hull, Aston juxta Budworth, Barnton, Barterton, or Bartington, Cogshall, Comberbach, Dutton, Little Leigh, Marbury, Marston, Pickmere, Stretton, Nether Tabley, Over Whitley, Nether Whitley, and Wincham.
During the reign of Henry III, Sir Geoffrey de Dutton (sometimes "Geffrey de Budworth") (d. 1248) was lord of the manor. De Budworth was the son of Adam, a younger son of Hugh de Dutton. Peter, grandson of De Budworth and ancestor of Sir Peter Warburton, second Bart. of Arley, moved to Warburton, assumed that name, and was a proprietor of Great Budworth. De Budworth gave a third of his land, including St Mary and All Saints Church, to Norton Priory to secure perpetual masses for his soul. After the dissolution of the monasteries, King Henry VIII granted the estate to John Grimsditch. It was afterwards divided into several parcels.
There may have been a school in Great Budworth as early as 1563, but certainly one existed by 1578. For centuries, the village was owned by the head of Arley Hall who would collect rent from the villagers. Rowland Egerton-Warburton of Arley Hall paid for restorations and improvements to the church in the 1850s. Egerton-Warburton also undertook a "campaign to render it (the village) picturesque in Victorian eyes". To this end he commissioned architects including William Nesfield and John Douglas to work on buildings in the village.
Great Budworth was a township in Great Budworth ancient parish in Bucklow Hundred, which became a civil parish in 1866. It includes the hamlets of Belmont, Brownslow and Budworth Heath. The population was 463 in 1801, 643 in 1851, 476 in 1901, 412 in 1951, and 373 in 2001.
The ancient parish stretched into the neighbouring hundred of Eddisbury.