Place:Acklington, Northumberland, England

Watchers


NameAcklington
TypeVillage
Located inNorthumberland, England
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Acklington is a small village in Northumberland, England. It is situated to the south-west of Amble, inland from the North Sea coast. It is served by Acklington railway station. The name is Anglo-Saxon Old English 'farmstead of Eadlac's people'.

Acklington won the title of Northumberland Village of the Year in 2007.[1] It has a parish church, St John the Divine, and a Church of England primary school.

To the north of Acklington is Morwick Hall a Grade II listed Georgian house. It was built by the Grey family of Howick; in the 1850’s it was owned by William Linskill, a former High Sheriff of Northumberland.

A World War II FW3/22 pillbox is located near the B6345.

A dam was constructed on the River Coquet in 1776, causing problems for the river's salmon population. Many years later, the eccentric naturalist Frank Buckland erected a sign directing the salmon to another stream.


Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Acklington. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Fundraiser
Help fund new features!