|Alt names||Guizance||source: older name|
|Guyson||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England|
|See also||Shilbottle, Northumberland, England||chapelry in which it was a township|
|Warkworth, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Acklington, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Guyzance, historically Guizance, is a small village or hamlet in Northumberland, England. It is located southeast of Alnwick on the River Coquet, several miles west of its mouth.
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
The name Guyzance is thought to be derived from a Norman family name "Guines", from an area of the same name near Calais. Other forms of the name recorded locally include "Gynis" (1242), "Gysnes" and "Gisyng".
The village of Guyzance has existed since at least since 1242, and was enclosed in 1685. In 1147, a Premonstratensian Order priory was founded at nearby Brainshaugh.
In 1885, Guyzance was described thus in Whellan's History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland:
"GUYZANCE, or GUYSON, is a township and village in this Shilbottle parish, the property of the Duke of Northumberland; Robert Delisle, Esq. the heirs of the late Thomas Fenwick, Esq., and Thomas Tate, Esq. The rateable value is £l,671 10s., and the tithes, which are the properly of Thomas Tate, Esq., are valued at £130 per annum. The number of inhabitants in 1801, was 172; in 1811, 186; in 1821, 173; in 1831, 197; in 184l, 205; and in 1851, 213 souls. THE VILLAGE of Guyzance is situated seven miles south by east of Alnwick. There was formerly a priory here, which was annexed to Alnwick Abbey, by Eustace Fitz John. We find from Tanner's Monastica that it was endowed with a portion of the tithes, and two bovates of land, but as to any other portion of its history we possess no records. The remains of the old chapel are still here, with the burying ground, in which the Tate family are still interred. BANK HOUSE, the seat of Thomas Tate, Esq., is situated about a mile north of the village."
Guyzance was a township in the chapelry of Shilbottle within the ancient parish of Warkworth. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Acklington.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Guyzance, Northumberland, England | Shilbottle, Northumberland, England | Warkworth, Northumberland, England | Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England | Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England | Acklington, Northumberland, England