Facts and Events
William Davis was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- Col. William Davis b. abt 1803 Rockbridge Co, Va. d. 1880 Mo. Co., Va. m. Jane Barnett 25 Apr 1825. Jane b. 28 Jan 1802 Montgomery Co Va d. 26 Aug 1842, Mo. Co. Va.
- Col Davis was a well-to-do planter in Montgomery Co. Va. Unconfirmed sources say he was a relative of Jefferson Davis.
- [Source: http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.davis/11754/mb.ashx]
- Here's information I have on my William Davis and Jane Barnett line:
- First Generation
- William Davis married Mary Holmes, no further info. on them
- (Note: conflicts with other sources, needs research)
- Second Generation
- William H. Davis married Jane Barnett on April 25, 1825
- b. 1803 Rockbridge Co, VA
- d. Dec 29, 1880 Montgomery Co., VA
- Their children:
- 1. John B. Davis b. 1826 m. Sarah Harman
- 2. David B. Davis b. 1830 m. Ellen McClure
- 3. Charles E. Davis b. April 14, 1831 m. Jane Deadmore (my ancestors)
- 4. Mary Davis b. 1835
- 5. Ellen Davis b. 1837 m. Fred Northcross
- 6. William Davis b. 1839 m. Tilda Howard
- 7. Samuel Davis b. 1842
- All the children were born in Montgomery Co., VA probably in the LaFayette area.
- William is listed in the 1850 Census as a farmer, a widower and living in Montgomery Co. with all 7 children still living with him. Their ages ranged from 24 to 7.
- William married a 2nd time sometime after 1850 to Agnes Johnston and had two children with her: Lucy B. Davis b. 1864 and Agnes Davis b. 1868.
- [Source: http://genforum.genealogy.com/barnett/messages/2866.html].