Facts and Events
William Clark was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
William Clark's land (Borden Tract NE, 402 acres, acquired from William Kennedy in 1761 (William Kennedy had received the tract from his father, Joseph Kennedy, who had acquired the land from James Trimble, the original patentee)) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 244.--19th May, 1761. William Kennedy and Martha to William Clarke, £120, 402 acres of Borden's large tract, on Moffet's Creek; cor. William Fulton (except two acres sold to William Adams). Teste: Hugh Wardlaw, Ro. Lusk. Delivered: Robert Clarke, March, 1763.
- Page 359.--20th September, 1763. John ( ) Davis and Judith to William Clark, £65, 65 acres on Jackson's River, formerly conveyed by Thomas Hughart to John, May, 1762. Delivered to William Clark, September, 1765.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 395.--15th October, 1765. William Clark and Margret to Wm Reah, £60, 65 acres on Jackson's River, purchased by Wm. Clark from John Davis and he from Thos. Hugart, the original patentee. (Note: William Clark died within just seven months after this record).
Estate Records of William Clark
- Page 444.--20th May, 1766. Margaret Clark's bond (with Wm. McCutchen, Jno. Clark) as administratrix of Wm. Clark.
- Page 478.--19th November, 1766. William Clark's appraisement (by Thos. Berry, Robt. Gay, Saml. McCutchen), recorded--One smoothing iron; 2 boxes of silver and other bullion and cash. James Ward, Dr.; Jno. Cowarden, Dr.; David Williams, debtor.
- Vol. 2 - Page 477.--27th June, 1769: John Clarke bound to John Hogshead.
- Page 479.--27th June, 1769: Wm. Clarke bound to Wm. Hogshead.
Records of William Clark in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - 1755-6-7. - Inquest, 22d January, 1757, on John McCutchan, before Patrick Martin, acting coroner. Was accidentally killed by a tree falling on him. James Clark, Jr., William Clark, William Fulton, James Risk, Mathew Willson, Patrick Martin, Samuel McCutchan, James McCutchan, John Peny (?), John Risk, William Berry, James Trotter, Robert Campbell, George Berry, John Clark, James Clark (Sen.?), James McCleery, Hugh Fulton.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1760-- August __, William Clark. (bride's name not listed).
- Page 109.-- 2d January, 1761. James Clark, Sr., to John Clark, £50, 80 acres in Beverley Manor, on Back Creek, a branch of Middle River, and part of 380 acres belonging to James Clerk. Teste: Wm. and Samuel Clark. Delivered: Samuel Clark, 19th November, 1770.
- Page 596.--15th June, 1764. Wm. Berry, planter, and Jane to John Trotter, planter, £_, 210 acres on Moffet's Creek in Borden's tract; Wm. Clark's line, Thomas Berry's line. Teste: George Berry. Delivered: John Cunningham by order, 11th August, 1781.
- Page 485.--1st May, 1769. William Reaugh (Reaoh, Reah) and Elizabeth to William Robinson, £65, 65 acres on Jackson's River, purchased by William Reaugh from William Cleark. Delivered: William Robinson, February, 1771. (Note: William Rhea married William Clark's sister Elizabeth).
- Page 7.--15th March, 1785. James Clark, son and heir-at-law of William Clark, deceased, to James Clark, Sr. Delivered: James McChesney, order, December 2, 1793, plantation William Clark, deceased, lived on on Moffet's Creek.
- Page 64.--11th August, 1765. James Kennedy and Alex. McNutt to Robert McNutt, £37, 158 acres, 2 roods woodland ground (viz., 118 acres. 2 roods, bought of said James Kennedy and 140 acres bought of said Alex. McNutt), in Borden's tract, on Kennedy's Mill Creek; corner Alex. McNutt, James Berry's line; Wm. Berry's line, corner Wm. Clarke, Wm. Fulton's line. Delivered: Robert McNutt, 17th October, 1774.