Facts and Events
He was a hatter, like his father, and owned a plantation in the Greenfield-Amsterdam community in New Castle County, Delaware.
Tobias Smith was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Tobias Smith acquired land "on a branch of Buffalo Creek, a branch of Roanoak", adjoining land of George Robinson prior to March 1755, as shown in the record below. It is most likely the same land (330 acres) that he sold to William Preston in 1760, as shown below.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 364.--13th May, 1760. Tobias Smith to Wm. Preston, £60, 330 acres on waters of Roanoke.
Records of Tobias Smith in Augusta County, VA
- Page 503.--28th February, 1749. Ephraim Vause to William McCurry, 248 acres on South Branch Roanoke. Teste: Nathanial Evins, Adam Breckenridge, Tobias Smith.
- Page 729.--23d May, 1750. John Collier and Sisely to William Hall. Delivered: Jos. Hall February, 1755. 212 acres on Buffalo Creek whereon John now lives The Shipp Rock; corner Arthur Brown. Teste: Tobias Smith, William Lusk, Patrick Deavis.
- Page 417.--31st January, 1752. Valuation of David Cloid's 2 tracts--400 acres, stock and improvements, £62; 260 acres, stock and improvements, £75. Both tracts on Pessimon Run. By Joseph Robinson, Tobias Smith.
- Page 450.--14th April, 1752. James Cole of Lunenburgh County, planter, to George Robinson, 400 acres joining Mark Coles, patented to James. 20th September, 1745. Teste: Tobias Smith, Frederick Smith, John Marcs (?). Livery by a branch of a hiccory. Proved by Fred. Smith, 1766. (Note: Frederick Smith and Tobias Smith were brothers).
- Page 41.--22d March, 1755. George Robinson to Joseph McDonald, £245 acres, part of 2 tracts belonging to George, on a branch of Buffalo Creek, a branch of Roanoak; Renfroe's lines; Tobias Smith's line. (Note: this shows that Tobias Smith had acquired land adjoining George Robinson on a branch of Buffalo Creek, prior to Marcy 1755).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Find A Grave.