Facts and Events
Robert Kincaid was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Robert Kincaid's land (Beverley Manor NW, 334 acres, 21 May, 1763 from James Bratton) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009.
- Note: this tract was originally granted to William Preston in 1749, sold to Alexander Wright in 1751, and re-sold to James Bratton in 1760)
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 225.--21st May, 1763. James Bratton and Elisabeth to Robert Kinkead, £140, 334 acres in Beverley Manor; Mr. Lewis' two white oaks; Maxwell's line.
- Page 310.--17th August, 1768. Andrew Loghridge to Robert Kinkead, deed of surrender of tract whereon Robert now lives, 159-1/2 acres, mortgaged by deed, July, 1767, £40. Teste: William McClenachan, John Graham.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 34.--19th August, 1766. Robert Kinkead and Anna Helena ( ) to Mathew Kinkead, £72.10, 174-1/2 acres, part of 334 acres conveyed to Robert by James Bratton, 20th April, 1763, on a draft of Christian's Creek; corner Mr. Lewis' land. Delivered: Thos. Kinkead, August, 1770.
- Page 461.--30th June, 1767. Robert Kinkade, farmer, and Leona (Lena) ( ) to Andrew Lockridge, £40, 159-1/2 acres, part of 334 acres conveyed by James Bratton to Robert, 21st May, 1763, hereby conveyed all the residue of said 334 acres after conveyance heretofore by Robert to Mathew Kinkead, August, 1766. Mortgage. Corner Lewis's tract. Teste: Thomas Smith, John Ridpath, Pat. Lockhart.
- Page 406.--20th June, 1770. Robert Kinkead and Annaheleney (Belina) ( ) to Andrew Kinkead, £__, 159 acres in Beverley Manor, part of 334 acres conveyed to Robert by James Bratton and Elizabeth, 1st May, 1763; corner Col. Lewis' land; corner Gibson's land. Delivered: Andrew Kinkead, November, 1771.
Records of Roebert Kincaid in Augusta County, VA
- Page 200.--19th November, 1762. Robert Kinkhead's bond (with William Wilson) as administrator of Joseph Henderson.
- Page 225.--10th June, 1763. Joseph Herndon's estate: In hands of Robt. Kinkead, administrator; appraised by Samuel Wilson, Samuel Moore, George Wilson.
- Page 43.--3d January, 1778. John Loggan's will--To son, John; to son, Samuel; to son, William; to son, Robert; to son, Joseph; to daughter, Sarah; to wife; to daughter, Mary; to son, Alexander; to son, Jame. Executors, wife and Mathew Huston. Teste: Robert Kenkead, Samuel Huston, Geo. Weir. Proved, 19th May, 1778, by Weir, and 18th August, by Huston. Mary qualifies.
About Robert Kincaid
From Rootsweb.com post:
- III. ROBERT KINCAID, third son of Alexander Kincaid of Edinburgh, Scotland, one of the four brothers who came to America in 1746, married Ann (Surname un-known). First record we have of him is in 1763 when he purchased in Beverley Manor, Augusta County, Virginia, 334 acres of land. On June 20, 1770 he and his wife, Anne, sold to a son, Andrew Kincaid, 150 acres of this tract. Robert and Anne Kincaid moved to Falling Spring, Virginia in 1770, followed shortly by their son, Andrew Kincaid, who married Ann Kincaid, daughter of his Uncle Samuel Kincaid Sr. Among the children of Andrew and Ann Kincaid, were Andrew, who married Anne Kincaid, (daughter of Samuel Kincaid Jr.) her double first cousin; other sons were John Kincaid, who married Alice Dean, and James Kincaid, who married her sister, Elizabeth Dean.