Facts and Events
Nathaniel McClure was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Nathaniel McClure's land (Borden Tract SW, 180 acres, 1747) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: land of several other McClure's in the vicinity, as well as John Smiley, whose son John Smiley, Jr. married Nathaniel's daughter, Hannah).
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 265.--21st May, 1747. Benj. Borden, &c., to Nathaniel McClure (sold in testator's lifetime); 180 acres, £5.7.6, part of 92,100 acres patented, &c., on North River, Worm Run; corner to Moses McClure, on east branch of Mill Creek. Teste: Jno. Bramham, Jr.; Thos. Gordon, John Finley. Acknowledged, 21st May, 1747.
Will of Nathaniel McClure
From Chalkley's Augusta County, VA Court Judgements:
- Page 18 - - 5th February, 1761 - - Nathaniel McClure's will - - Wife, Mary; eldest son, Holbert, (pounds)10 to cure his sore leg, above his share; sons, James and Nathan? (their young brother and sisters). Rest of children: Halbert, Mary, Alexander, Hanah, Thomas, maqrgaret, Dorothy and Moses. Young sons to be put to trades. Executors, Alexander and Moses McClure and Archd. Alexander. Teste: David Dryden, Wm. Carleton, Hannah Allison. Proved, 19th May, 1761, by Dryden and Carleton, Hannah Allison. Proved, 19th May, 1761 by Dryden and Carleton. Executors refuse. Administration granted widow Mary, who qualifies, with John Allison, Samuel McClure, Baptist McNabb. Mary's Mark ( ), Allison's mark ( ), McNabb's Mark.
Estate Records of Nathaniel McClure
- AUGUST 20, 1766. (206) Saml. McClure, security for Mary McClure, admx. of husband, Nathaniel McClure, asks counter security.
- Page 45.--23d September, 1767. Mary McClure's settlement of estate of N, McClure--Cash paid for funeral expenses for my child; cash paid for schooling the children; cash paid Halbert McClure, one of the heirs; cash paid Joseph Reed, one of the heirs; cash paid James McClure, his part; cash paid Nathl. McClure, his part; cash paid Jno. Smiley, his part; cash paid Thos. McClure, his part; cash paid Margt. McClure, her part; cash paid Moses McClure, his part. Recorded on motion of Baptist McNabb.
- MARCH 15, 1768 (497) Haibert McClure appointed guardian to Margaret McClure, aged 11 years, and Moses McClure, aged 8 years, orphans of Nathaniel McClure, deceased.
- MAY, 1771 (B). - Halbert McClure vs. Nathaniel McClure and James McClure.--Bill filed March 1769. Nathaniel McClure, father of orator, left by will plantation to James and Nathaniel McClure, his sons. Halbert was also a son(?). Widow was Mary. James McClure went to Georgia(?). Nathaniel McClure's Sr., effects were set up at auction, at which time Nathaniel, Jr., was under age and James was of age.
- AUGUST, 1768 (C). McClure vs. McClure.--Ejectment. James McClure and Nathaniel McClure, sons and devisees of Nathaniel McClure, vs. Halbert McClure. (504) Thomas Dryden appointed guardian to Margaret McClure, infant orphan of Nathaniel McClure. (505) Order of yesterday appointing Halbert McClure guardian of Moses and Margaret McClure is set aside, and Saml. McClure is appointed guardian to Moses.
- Page 57.--10th September, 1767. Mary McClure's (mark) will--To son, Thomas, for his schooling; to son, Moses, for his schooling; to daughter, Margaret, for her schooling; to son, James, 5 shillings. Executors Joseph Walker and Saml. Lyle. Teste: James McDowell, Saml. McDowell, Alex. McCluer. Proved, 17th November, 1767, by James and Saml. McDowell. Executors refuse. Administration granted Halbert McClure, who qualifies with Saml. (mark) and John (mark) McClure. (Note: Mary was Nathaniel's wife).
- ↑ Brøderbund Software, Inc. World Family Tree Vol. 4, Ed. 1. (Release date: August 23, 1996), Tree #2463.
Date of Import: May 30, 1998