Facts and Events
Mathias Selser (Seltzer, Solsor) was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 203-06. 15-16 Dec. 1735. Jacob Stover of St. Mark's Parish, Orange County, to Mathias Selser of same. Lease and release; for £41 current money. Three tracts on Gerundo River (Shenandoah), two containing 200 acres each and the other 100 acres. (signed) Jacob (J S) Stover. Wit: John Bramham, Gideon Marr, Wm. Terrell. 16 Dec. 1735. Acknowledged by Jacob Stover. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 1, Dorman, pg. 16].
- Pages 149-51. 23-24 May 1739. Martin Coffman of Lancaster Parish [Pennsylvania] to Matthias Selser of Augusta parish and county. Lease and release; for £30 Pennsylvania money. 217 acres on the north side of Sharrando River above Matthias Selser's uper most tract... up the river... (signed) Martin Kaufman. Wit: Christopher Zimmerman, Joseph Bloodwortk, Willi. Reid. 24 May 1739. Acknowledged by Martin Kaufman. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 3, Dorman, pg. 11].
- Pages 42-46. 16-17 March 1741 . Adam Miller of Orange County to Mathias Seltzer of same. Lease and release; for £110. 200 acres on the north side Sharando River... uppermost corner of Stoves [sic, s/b Stover's] survey... uppermost corner of the mountain... up the river... Also 217 acres on the north side of the river... corner to Seltzer... Kentsman's line... up the courses of the river... part of the Massanutten Tract of 5,000 acres granted to Jacob Stover... (signed) Adam Miller. Wit: Jonathan Gibson, Catlett Conway, James Porteus. 25 March 1741 . Proved by Jonathan Gibson Gent., Catlett Conway and James Porteus. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book5, Dorman, pg. 3].
- Pg. 225-227. Indenture 25 Sept. 1745 between Michael Rynard of Orange County and Mathias Solsor of same.. lease and release for £40.. sells 100 acres of land upon south side of Shannando River.. bounded.. Mill Run.. Henry Hastings.... (signed) Michael (X) Rynard (Seal). Witnesses: George Hume, John Newport, Jno. Reynolds. Recorded Orange County 26 September 1745.
- [On Margin: "Michal Rinhart 1764"]
- [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 49].
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 371.—16th July, 1754. Peter Cue (his mark) and Mary Cue, his wife, to Mathias Selzer, of Frederick County, £35, 120 acres on southeast side Shanando River. Delivered to Mathias Selzer, 6th October, 1760.
- Page 2 - Mathias Sulcher, 85 acres, Shenandoah River and opposite the lower end of an island. Adjoining Lungs (Long). May 7, 1762. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 1].
Dispostion of Land from Orange County, Virginia Records:
- Pages 167-70. 23-24 July 1740. Matthias Elser of Orange County to Jacob Negler of Lancaster Co., Pa. Lease and release; for £35 current money. 200 acres formerly belonging to Jacob Stover and by him sold to Matthias Elser, being part of the Messanutting Tract... on the river... (signed) Matthias Seltzer. Wit: John Newport, Jacob Funk, Hans George Dellinger. The 5 shillings consideration in lease paid to Abraham Strickler in behalf of Jacob Negler. 24 July 1740. Acknowledged by Matthias Seltzer. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 4, Dorman, pg. 45].
- Pages 195-98. 8-9 March 1741 . Mathias Elser of Orange County to George Hite of same. Lease and release; for £40 current money. 200 acres on the west side of Sharando River... up the river... (signed) Matheus Selzer [Seltzer in release]. Wit: John Newport, Christopher Zimmerman [Joseph Zimmerman in release], Leonard Zirgler, Joseph Bloodworth. 27 May 1742. Proved by John Newport, Christopher Zimmerman, Leonard Zigler, Joseph Bloodworth. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 5, Dorman, pg. 10].
- Pg. 227-230. 25 Sept. 1745 - Indenture between Mathias Solsor of Orange County and Michael Rynard of same... lease and release for £40.. 100 acres of land on the North side of the River of Shanando.... (signed) Mathias Solsor (Seal). Witnesses: G. Hume, Jno. Newport. Recorded Orange County 26 September 1745.
- [On Margin: "Del'd to Henry Allen 1764"]
- [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 10, Dorman, pg. 49].
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 52.--30th January, 1761. Mathias Celzar and Renamia ( ), of Frederick County, to George Cutlip, £40, conveyed to Mathias Celsar by Peter Carr and Mary, 1th July, 1754, on Shanando, 120 acres.
Records of Mathias Selser in Orange County, VA
- Pages 422-25. 23-24 Feb. 1736/7. Ludwick Stone of Orange County to Michael Cryter of the Province of Pennsylvania. Lease and release; for £100 current money. Three tracts, the first 200 acres on Gerundo (Shenandoah) River on the south side between Matthias Selser and Michael Coffman. Also 200 acres, the uppermost of the Mosonutten lotts, at the uppermost corner of Stover's survey, and joyns at the upper side of Martin Coffman's upper tract... The other, 100 acres near Elk Lick on the north side Gerundo adjoyning to Martin Coffman and John Prupecker. (signed) Ludwick Stein (Stone). Wit: Gideon Marr, Jno. Newport. 24 Feb. 1736 . Acknowledged by Ludwick Stone. William Russell, Gent., made a motion that the land might not be recorded because Stone was indebted to him £12.12.-. Stone acknowledged the obligation and said he would pay the money when due. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 1, Dowman, pg. 29].
- Pages 428-31. 24-23 [sic] Feb. 1736/7. Ludwick Stone at Gerundo, Orange County, to Martin Coffman of the Province of Pennsylvania. Lease and release; for £200 current money of Virginia. Three tracts on Gerundo River, one of 217 acres on the north side above Mathias Selser's uppermost tract. Next on south side the said river, 300 acres. The other on the north side the river at Elk Lick and adjoyneth to Michael Cryter and John Prupeker's lower tract, 100 acres, part of 200 acres granted to Stone by Jacob Stover. (signed) Ludwig Stein. Wit: Gidn. Marr, Jno. Newport. 24 Feb. 1736. Acknowledged by Ludwick Stone. Willlam Russell, Gent., opposed its being recorded because Stone was indebted to Jim £12.12.-. Stone promised to pay when due. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 1, Dowman, pg. 30].
- Pages 399-402. 26-27 May 1741. Jacob Greuter of Orange County to Adam Miller of same. Lease and release; for £64 Pennsylvania money. 200 acres on the north side Sherundo (Shenandoah) River... at the uppermost corner of Stover's survey... at the mountain... also 217 acres... corner of Seltzer's on the north side of the river... to Kaufman's corner... being part of the Massenutten Tract of 5,000 acres granted to Jacob Stover. (signed) Jacob Greiter. 28 May 1741. Acknowledged by Jacob Greuter. [Orange County Virginia Deed Book 4, Dorman, pg. 61].
- Pages 28-29. Bond of Margarett Evert as administatrix of Geo. Evert. Unto Thomas Chew, Gent., first justice. For £100 sterling, 22 9bbr [Nov.] 1744. Securities, Jacob Coger and Mathias Selsor. (signed) Margaret Evert, Jacob Coger, Mathias Selsor. 22 9br [Nov.} 1744. Acknowledged. [Orange County Will Book 2, 1744-1778, Dorman, pg. 5].
- Pages 177-78. Nicholas Coger. Estate account. 1743-
- Payments made to Widow Eliza. Coger (her part), Richard Mauldin, Christian Eyster, Matthias Selare (for Melecar Ingle), Adam Miller, Jonathan Gibson, Henry Thomas, Isaac Roudabus, Michael Evert, John Swoak, John Tritulute, John Christouf Court, Christian Lefful, Tobias Fry, Christof Beser, George Martin, Jacob Weller, John Selser, Geo. Taylor (clerk's fees), and for travel twice to Pennsylvania.
- Signed by Jacob Coger. 24 May 1753. Returned. [Orange County Virginia Will Book 2, 1744-1778, Dorman, pg. 39].
Records of Mathias Selser in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 18, 1746. - (49) Elianor Roork, servant of Mathias Seltzer--run away.
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 19, 1746. - (51) Henry Spears and Mathias Seltzer appointed road overseers over road from Thorn's Gap from South River to county line.
- Page 423.--19th October, 1747. £50. John Fewbaker to Abraham Fewbaker, 2 parcels of land on Shanando River, 300 acres adjoining Jacob Nahale, 200 acres adjoining Jacob Nahale. Teste: Samuel Newman, Wm. Scholl, Mathias Selzer. Proved by Scholl and Selzer, 18th November, 1747.
- Vol. 1 - Page 306.--26th February, 1750. Mathias Selzer's bond as executor of Michael Rynard.
- Page 346.--7th March, 1750. Rude Mack's inventory, by Mathias Selzer, Daniel Stover, Jacob Burnet.
- Page 90.--8th February, 1750-1. David Magert and Daniel Weitreith of Frederick, to John Fudge. Delivered: to Geo. Zimmerman, June, 1754. 300 acres on Shanando joining Wm. Philips. Teste: John Hopes, John Funk, Jr., Mathias Seltzer.
- Page 332.--22d March, 1751. John Bumgarner's will--Son, John; son, Christian; daughters, Mary, Elizabeth and Madley; grandson, Jacob Burner; sons to be put to school until they can read and write, and then to trades. Executors, Mathais Selzer and Jacob Burner. Teste: Benj. Barger, Charles Burk, Geo. Shuneman. (No certificate of probate of any kind.)
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 11, 1751--AUGUST 27, 1751. - (176) This book begins August 1749, but there are no orders but those of suits and actions until August 27, 1751, when a new Court was organized under a commission from the Hon. Lewis Burwell, President of Virginia, dated 11th June, 1751, directed to James Patton, Peter Scholl,* Robert Cunningham, Wm. Jameson, David Stuart,* John Lynn,* Erwin Patterson,* Thos. English, Benj. Borden,* Joseph Kenady, John Denton, Wm. Christian, Robert Breckinridge, John Lewis,* Silas Hart, Andw. Lewis,* James Rutledge, Alexr. Wright, Ro. McClenahan,* Robert Campbell, John Wilson, Richd. Burton, Patr. Martin, James Lockhart, John Mills, Ro. Ramsey, Richd. Woods, John Anderson, John Ruddle, Thos. Stuart, John Lyle, John Buchanan, Thomas Lewis, Archd. Alexander, John Mathews, Adam Dickenson, Mathias Seltzer, Wm. Harbeson. (Those marked (*) qualified.)
- Page 218.--19th May, 1752. Thomas Haldman and Mary to Robert Stapleton, 428 acres, 3d February, 1749. On South Fork of Haldman's Creek, patent from Fairfax; corner George Brock; Peter Gartezer's survey; Mary Hill's line; Ruddle's line. Delivered: Chas. Stapleton, October, 1763. Teste: Mathias Selzer, Wm. Newman.
- Vol. 1 - MAY, 1753. - This bill bindeth us, Ralph (his "R. H." mark) Hughes and Richard ("R.S.") Sherley, both of Augusta County, to pay, or cause, etc., unto Mathias Celzar, etc. 15th March, 1750-51. Test, Peter Scholl, Samuel Newman.
- Page 346.--22d June, 1753. Jeofry Beck and Lydia to Michael Skellishner, 400 acres, on Mill Creek joining Charles Dalson's. Teste: Mathios Selzer, Samuel Newman, Peter Scholl.
- Page 505.--10th August, 1753. Jacob Rodgab's appraisement by Mathias Selzer, Jacob Halterman, Christian Magret.
- Vol. 1 - OCTOBER, 1765 (D). - John Hopes (Hapes) vs. Daniel Harrison.--Chancery. Spa. issued September, 1763. Bill states that orator was some years ago employed as Deputy Sheriff under Robert McClenachan, and continued so for two years. Thomas Harrison, Daniel Harrison and John Cravens were his securities. As the end of orator's term drew near he became fearful that he would be behind in his accounts, and withdrew himself to Carolina, leaving his Sheriff's books and effects for the satisfaction of his bondsmen. His effects were immediately attached by Daniel Harrison, who was appointed Deputy Sheriff in orator's place. After some time orator returned to Virginia and sold a tract of land for £47, which he paid to his securities, expecting to have an account rendered to him by defendant, but orator waited a long time for an accounting, and then applied for one, but has never gotten one yet. Prayer for acconuting. Daniel Harrison's answer states that: Claims that orator is still in his debt. Account follows: Downes's fees--William Carrel, David Johnson, James Scott, John Dunbar, William Longin, Mathy Thomas, John Griffeth, John Megil. Adam Bracen Righ's book (boock)--Alen Sculps, Alen Jackson. John Bumgardner's book--Jonathan Duglis, Aorgin Jones, John Crage, Thos. Dwode, Ben Inman Gouge, John Harrison, Henry Netherentine, Samuel Lonard, Renell Macdannel, Jeremiah Orsburn, Jr., Samuel Pattron, James Rutledge, Samuel Samples, Edward Shankling, Hugh Duglis, Wm. Ewing, David Crage, John Griffeth, James Gray, Reuben Harrison, Samuel Henderson, Francis MacBred, Richard Marling, John Phillips, John Pattron, Valentine Seveor, Mathew Ship, John Walker, Thomas Holing, Mung Price, Hugh Camel, John Davis, Jacob Glashe, John Holmes, Joell Hornback, Thomas Loin (Lain), Peter Mate, John Orsburn, Josiah Parrent, Edward Rutledge, James Scot, Mathous Sulcer, Richard Tictum.
Help fund new features!