Lt. Joseph Rutherford, Jr.
Facts and Events
Joseph Rutherford, Jr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records in Virginia
- 1768 May 16. JOSEPH RUTHERFORD Sr. conveyed to his sons, Joseph Jr., Thomas, and Reuben, 134 acres each on the banks of Cub Run in Augusta Co., VA, the original 400 acres JOSEPH Sr. acquired Dec. 31, 1760, from his sister, Mary WOOD. According to the terms, each son paid his father £50. --Augusta Co. Deeds, Book 14, p.491, Courthouse, Staunton, VA
- Augusta County Court Records. Order Book No. 12, p.338.
- 1768 August 18. Witnesses: JOSEPH, ELIZABETH, Joseph, Jr., Thomas and Robert RUTHERFORD. (p.339) Witness: Valentine Seviar, Jr. --Lyman Chalkley, Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia, Volume 1, Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta County 1745-1800 (Baltimore, MD: 1912), 150.
- Rockingham County Records, p.366.
- 1780--March 27th. Following Militia officers qualify, viz: Josiah Harrison, Captain; Jacob Havener, Ensign; Richard Reagen, Captain; ELLIOTT RUTHERFORD, Ensign; Jeremiah Beesley, Captain; Joseph RUTHERFORD, Lieutenant; Stephen Conrad, Lieutenant; Robt. Smith, Lieutenant. --Lyman Chalkley, Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia, Volume 2, Extracted from the Original Court Records of Augusta County 1745-1800 (Baltimore, MD: 1912).
- Virginia Militia in the Revolutionary War, Part 3.
- Virginia's Share in the Military Movements of the Revolution, p.231.
- RUTHERFORD, ELLIOT, En[sign]., S. March 27, 1780--under R. Reagan.
- RUTHERFORD, Joseph, S. L[ieutenant]., S. March 27, 1780--under R. Reagan.
- 1785 August 3. Joseph RUTHERFORD surveyed 150 acres on Cub Run adjoining Harmentrouts, Rockingham Co., VA, in close proximity to his other land on Cub Run.
- In 1787, a survey of 270 acres on the drafts of Mill Creek and Cub Run adjoining Joseph RUTHERFORD was made for Robert ELLIOTT.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=wilkinsonwilene&id=I0816