Facts and Events
||John Tate, Esq.
||26 FEB 1749
||North Mountain, Augusta County, Virginia(probably 1748/9)
||26 February 1749
||South Mountain, Augusta County, Virginia[Bapt. at South Mountain Meeting House by Rev. John Craig]
||Augusta County, Virginiato Jane "Jinney" Steele
||13 DEC 1802
||Augusta County, Virginia
||Old Providence ARP Church Cemetery, Spottswood, Augusta County, Virginia, USA
John Tate was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
NOT to be confused with Col. John Tate (abt. 1743-1828) of Botetourt, Fincastle, Washington and Russell Counties, Virginia, who married Mary Bracken.
- Page 252.--18th April, 1801. John Tate's will--To wife and children, whole estate to be kept together for their benefit. Executors, wife Jinney, friends Robert Tate, Samuel Finley, Isaac Tate. Teste: John Tate. 3d; James Henry, Wm. Fulton, Geo. Berry. Proved, 27th December, 1802. Jinney, Robert, and Sam. qualify.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's Augusta County Records:
The following suit in Augusta County helps to detail the family of this John Tate:
- Vol. 2 - Finley vs. Tate--O. S. 280; N. S. 99--Bill by Samuel Finley and Mary, his wife, daughter of John Tate, who died December, 1802, testate. John's son, Isaac, removed to Kentucky. John at death left following children, viz: Oratrix Mary (married at that time). Nancy also married then to Adam McChesney, Ellen, Drusilla, Jane, Elizabeth, Clorinda, one other daughter and two sons, all since dead under age, unmarried and intestate. Nancy McChesney died soon after her father, leaving an only child, Jane Eliza McChesney. Her husband, Adam McChesney, has also died, leaving Jane Eliza his only heir and infant. Ellen is now wife of John Finley of North Carolina. Drusilla has married John D. Ewin of Rockbridge. Jane has married Jacob Vanlear of Augusta. Elizabeth and Clorinda are unmarried (latter is infant).
Which John is Which?
During his lifetime, this John was known as John TATE Jr in Augusta County tax lists from 1792 through 1790 to distinguish him from his father and as John TATE, Esq. from 1791 to 1801.
Information on John Tate
- Family Group Record
- John Tate
- Birth: 26 FEB 1748 , Augusta, Virginia
- Marriage: About 1769 , Augusta, Virginia
- Death: 13 DEC 1802 , Rockbridge, Virginia
- Jane Steele
- Birth: About 1755 , Augusta, Virginia
- Marriage: About 1769 , Augusta, Virginia
- Death: 1834 , Augusta, Virginia
- 1. Nancy Tate
- Birth: 1771 , Augusta, Virginia
- Death: 29 APR 1803 , Augusta, Virginia
- 2. John Tate
- Birth: 03 NOV 1772 , Augusta, Virginia
- Death: 01 AUG 1854 , Callaway, Missouri
- 3. Isaace Tate
- Birth: About 1778 , Augusta, Virginia
- Death: After 1800 , , Kentucky
- 4. Elenor Tate
- Birth: 14 MAR 1782 , Augusta, Virginia
- Death: 1852 , Wilkes, North Carolina
- 5. Drucilla S Tate
- Birth: 1787 , Augusta, Virginia
- Death: Before 1870 , Rockbridge, Virginia
- 6. Jane Berry Tate
- Birth: 1791 , Augusta, Virginia
- Death: 21 NOV 1854 , Augusta, Virginia
- 7. Elizabeth M Tate
- Birth: 1790 , Augusta, Virginia
- Death: Before 1834 , Augusta, Virginia
Info from DAR lineage:
3. John Tate, Jr. (1749/1803), Soldier-Virginia Unit/wife: Steele, Jane (?-5th G’GrandUncle/Aunt)
Identity of Wife Jane
According to researcher Carol Vass (quote):
The couple in question is John Tate (b. 28 Feb 1748/49- d. 13 Dec 1802). You have identified his wife's name as Jane STEELE and my specific question is what 'source' you have found for Jane's surname being Steele. Jim Jackson, cc'd on this email, and I are researchers of the BERRY family also living in Augusta from the 1740s onward -- living in close proximity to the TATE, HALL, STEELE, DOAK and many other families also found in your TATE research. [The front page of our website can be found at: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~berry/newupload/pages/report.htm ]
I have attached "Esquire" to the name of John Tate (1748/49-1802) because his will identifies him that way and he was a Sheriff in Augusta in the 1790s -- just as a means of separating him from the other Tates, all seemingly related, in Augusta. [He also is identified as John Tate, Esquire on the 1791 Tax list. I have only extracted the TATEs between 1782-1795 and need to go back to double check some of the entries and continue on through the early 1800s, which I hope to finish up next week.]
Based on the research we have done, we feel fairly confident that John Tate Esquire's wife was Jane 'Jinny' BERRY, a daughter of George Berry (c1720-1803).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Riley, Agnes Graham Sanders. The Pioneer Tate family of Augusta County, Virginia. National Genealogical Society Quarterly (National Genealogical Society). (Vol 57, Issue 3 (Sep 1969)), 181.
giving baptized 26 Feb 1749, place
- ↑ Pvt John Tate, in Find A Grave.