John Mitchell, of Beverley Manor
Facts and Events
There are 18 vital records available on MyHeritage for John Mitchell, of Beverley Manor, including birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Vital records are historical records that are typically recorded around the actual time of the event, which means they are likely accurate.
Vital records include information like the event date and place, and the person's occupation and residence.
Vital records also often include information about the person's relatives.
For example, birth and marriage records include names of parents and divorce records list the names of children.
See all vital records for John Mitchell, of Beverley Manor
John Mitchell was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Records for John Mitchell in Old Augusta
John Mitchell's land (Beverley Manor SW, 609 acres, 1747) as shown on the map meticulously drawn by J.R. Hildebrand, cartographer. This map is copyrighted©, used by permission of John Hildebrand, son of J.R. Hildebrand, April, 2009. (Note: land of Martha Mitchell (279 acres, 1739), relationship unknown is located nearby to the north of John Mitchell's tract, and land acquired by Helen Mitchell (200 acres, 1747), John's mother is located nearby to the southwest).
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- 13 Aug. 1747, Augusta County, Virginia Deed Book 1, page 317. - Wm. Beverley to John Mitchell, £20; 609 acres in Beverley Manor; corner to Samuel Brafford; John Buchanan's land; Patrick Campbell's land; crossing South River; Samuel Doak's land. Witnessed and proved as above.
- Page 444.--14th February, 1771. John Mitchell's will, farmer--To wife, Elizabeth, plantation hired (?) from his mother by verbal will; to third son, John; to fourth son, James, executor; to youngest daughter, Elizabeth; to eldest son, Thomas; to eldest daughter, Elenor Wilson; to second son, Robert; to second daughter, Mary Right. Teste: John Tate, Andrew Moore, Thos. Wilson. Proved, 20th August, 1771, by Moore and Wilson.
- Page 68.—26th November, 1747. David Steel's appraisement by James Fulton, Charles Campbell and John Mitchell. Books. Cash due by Isaac Roads. Cash due Jno. Teas. Cash due executors of Thos. Steel, deceased. Cash due to Thos. Johnston. Recorded, 17th February, 1747-8.
- Page 275.—15th September, 1750. John Greer's nuncupative will—Debts to be paid to William Long, William Nul, John Kennedy, Nathaniel Patterson; son Alexander to be bound to a trade; one child to be bound to John Mitchell; one child to be bound to S D; oldest girl to go to some descent woman to learn housewifery. Executors, John Mitchell and Samuel Doak. Teste: James Cowin, Jno. Mitchell, Saml. Doak, Francis Beatey. Proved, 28th November, 1750, by Cowin and Beatey.
- Page 446.—21st September, 1750. John Greer's vendue. Sold to John Lockhart. John Roseman, Sarah Lynn, John Teat, John Mitchell, Christopher Kelly, George Breckinridge, Thos. Scott, James Lynn, Thos. Teat, Francis Beaty, John Mitchell.
- Page 447.—24th August, 1752. John Mitchell and Samuel Doage's bond as guardians (appointed) of Rebecca, Alexander, Martha, Mary Greer, orphans of John Greer, deceased, with sureties Francis Beatey.
- Page 146.—17th May, 1756. William Smith's appraisement, by John Mitchell, Robert Wilson, Robert Alexander—Widow Howston, Thomas Tate, Jno. Brownlee, widow Fulton, owe by accounts.
- Page 314.—18th May, 1759. John Smith's bond (with Abraham Smith, Danl Smith) as administrator Jno. Witchell (Mitchell).
This John Mitchell married Elizabeth Wilson ca 1730 Lancaster Co., PA. He
lived in Beverley Manor, Augusta Co., VA. His son Thomas married (1)
Elizabeth McClenachan Moor and (2) Elizabeth Wales. Son Robert married
Elizabeth Glass and moved to Woodford Co., KY. Son John married an Elizabeth
_______ and also moved to KY. Daughter Eleanor married Mathew Wilson. Son
James married Elizabeth Beard. Daughter Mary married Samuel Wright. No info
on Elizabeth other than she was baptised 6 Mar. 1747.
1709 - 20 Aug 1771
BIRTH: 1709, Lancaster County, PA 
DEATH: 20 Aug 1771, Augusta County, VA 
Father: Thomas MITCHELL
Family 1 : Elizabeth WILSON
MARRIAGE: 1730, Lancaster County, PA 
Will of Martha Wilson (who owned land nearby John Mitchell):
(Note: not sure of any relation to this Martha Mitchell (who was a Wilson widow), he was not named in will, but helped to appraise her estate).
- Page 305.—1st February, 1758. Martha Mitchell's will, widow—Son, James Mitchell. As her son David Mitchell, through the necessity of the times, hath been forced to leave his own habitation, he is to live with James until it pleases God to restore peace to the land. Executors, David and James Mitchell, her sons. Teste: Jno. Fulton, Hugh Fulton, Robert Alexander. Proved, 16th May, 1759, by the Fultons. The executors qualify, with John Hugh Fulton, John Fulton.
- Page 323.—14th August, 1759. Martha Mitchell's appraisement, by John Mitchell, Jas. Cowan, Wm. Ledgerwood.
(Not sure of any relation to this other John Mitchell)
- Page 73.—12th May, 1746. John Mitchell, farmer, to Wm. Mitchell, farmer, £40 current money Virginia; 400 acres in Augusta; Benj. Borden's line, part of land patented to John, 15th March, 1744. Acknowledged, 12th May, 1746, by John Mitchell and Mary, his wife.
- Page 473.—20th August, 1752. Wm. Mitchell (son of John Mitchell) and Margaret, his wife, to Thomas Wilson, 400 acres, patented to John. 15th March, 1744. Broad Spring Branch of James; Benjamin Borden's line.
- Page 512.—10th March, 1764. John Mitchell to John McCollom, £10, 119 acres in Forks of James, on Buffalo Creek. Teste: Henry Kirkam, Jas. Lapsley, Alex. Collier. (Note sure which John Mitchell this is)
- Page 284.—10th October, 1766. John ( ) Mitchell and Sarah ( ), of Orange County, N. C., to George Wilson, of Hamshire County, £80, 234 acres by patent 10th August, 1759, on Stewart's Creek; corner James McCoy. Teste: William and Susanna Preston, Samuel McNabb, Nicholas Smith, Francis Smith, Anne Smith, Francis Smith, Thomas Smith.
1. John Mitchell (1709-1771) married in 1730 Elizabeth Wilson.
His will in 1771 was witnessed by John Tate. It listed children Thomas, Robert, John, James, Eleanor wife of Thomas Wilson, then Robert Doak, Mary Wright, and Elizabeth Mitchell.
- ↑ Will was written 14 Feb 1771, and probated 20 August 1771.