Facts and Events
James Sawyers was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 283.--19th May, 1767. James Sayers to James Sayers, his son, £150, 2 tracts on Middle River of Shanando--A containing 230 acres, corner John Trimble, crossing the Buffelow branch; B containing 100 acres adjoining the former, corner Thomas Gardner. Teste: George Elliot. Delivered: David Sawyers, devisee of James Sawyers, the grantee, 6th December, 1805.
Will of James Sawyers, Jr.
- Page 373.--18th January, 1782. James Sawyers' will, "in middle of my age"--To dearly and well-beloved Hannah Sawyers, wife; to children, until youngest is 18; to son Thomas, son David, son Geo. Washington; to daughter Ann, daughter Rebeckah (a negro slave, said slave is to attend Mrs. Archer during her life; to daughter Martha, daughter Rachel; to father, negro Nelson to wait on him his lifetime; to sister, Rebecca. Executors, Col. Geo. Mathes, Wm. Crawford, wife, Jno. Sawyers, David McNare. Teste: Sampson Sawyers, Ann Renick, Wm. Crawford, Daniel McNare. Codicil, 9th September, 1782. Teste: Daniel and David McNare. Proved, 18th November, 1783, by Sawyers, Renick, McNare. Widow Hannah, Wm. Crawford, Daniel McNare qualify.
- Page 482.--21st November, 1783. James Sawyers' estate appraised by William Bell, Benj. Brown, Wm. Starit.
- Page 114.--James Sawyer's estate in account with Hannah Sawyers.
Records of James Sawyers, Jr. in Augusta County, VA
- Page 425.--6th October, 1765. Samuel Wallace's will--Daughter, Jennet; to wife and son Joseph (if wife has a child); to son Samuel's 2 children; son Robert to have James Ralston and teach him to be a shoemaker. Executors, wife and James Sayers, Jr. Teste: Morris (Maurice) O'Freel, Wm. Magill. Proved, 15th October, 1765, by the witnesses. Sayers refuses to execute. Widow Elizabeth qualifies (her mark), with Sampson Mathews.
- Page 432.--27th February, 1775. David Hays' will--To wife, servant girl named Agness McGraw; to daughter, Johanna Buchanan; to daughter, Eloner Paxton; to daughter, Hannah Sawyers; to daughter, Mary Lapsley; to sons, David, William, Joseph, Robert, John, division. Executors, wife Isabella Hays, William Paxton, James Sawyers. Teste: Andrew Kinnear, George Berry, Agness Kinnear. Proved, 21st August, 1776, by solemn affirmation of the Kinnears. Isabella and Sawyers qualify. Paxton to be summoned. 19th August 1777, Paxton qualifies. (Note: David Hays was the father-in-law of James Sawyers, Jr.).
- Vol. 1 - JUNE 15, 1784. - 254) Hannah Sawyers, widow of James Sawyers, exempted from taxes for Harry, a negro.
- Page 187.--10th February, 1786. Rebeckah Archer's will--To Anne, Rebecca, Martha. Rachel Sawyers, daughters of James Sawyers, deceased; to Thomas, David, George, and above girls, Sawyers; to brother-in-law, William Blair. Executors, William Crawford, Hannah Sawyers. Teste: David McNare, James McCaa, Alex. Crawford, Rebecca Sawyers. Proved, 15th December, 1790, by Crawford and Sawyers. Executors refused. Administration granted David Sawyers.
Information on James Sawyers, Jr.
- David Sawyers was born about 1772 in Rockbridge Co., Virginia.
- His father was James Sawyers Jr. born Nov. 28, 1748 in Augusta Co., Virginia. He served in the Revolutionary war and died on Mar. 3, 1782 in Rockbridge Co., Virginia, and was buried there. His father was James Sawyers Sr. and his mother was Rachael Sawyers.
- His mother was Hannah Hays born about 1750 in Scotland. She died in Rockbridge Co., Virginia. Hannah's father was David Hays and her mother was Isabella Hays.
- James and Hannah were married about 1768, and they had seven children.
- The first child born to James and Hannah was Thomas Sawyers.
- The second child born to James and Hannah was David Sawyers born about 1772 in Rockbridge Co., Virginia.
- The third child born to James and Hannah was George Washington Sawyers.
- The fourth child born to James and Hannah was Nancy Ann Sawyers born Sep. 16, 1772.
- The fifth child born to James and Hannah was Rebecca Sawyers. She married Samuel Buchanan on Dec. 30, 1790.
- The sixth child born to James and Hannah was Martha Sawyers. She married John Thompson on Nov. 21, 1795.
- The seventh child born to James and Hannah was Rachael Sawyers. She married John Class on Aug. 12, 1797.