Facts and Events
James Lackey was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Will of James Lackey
- Will & Testament of James Lackey
- Botetourt County, State of Virginia 28th Day of October 1822
- In the name of God Amen. The twenty eight day of October in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and twenty two I James Lackey of Botetourt County & State of Virginia being in soundnefs of mind and disposing memory thanks be to God and calling to mind the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men to die do make and ordain this my last will and testament and as building such worldly estate wherewith it has pleased God to blefs me with in this life I give devise and dispose of the same in the following manner and form In premis it is my will and I do order that in the first place all my past debts and funeral charges be paid and satisfied.
- Item I do love and bequeath unto my beloved wife Mary Lackey the one third of all the residue of my whole estate real and personal of which I am any ways pofsefsed at the time of my decease during her natural life.
- Item I do love and bequeath unto my two beloved sons Thomas and Nathan Lackey the tract of land whereon I now live containing 400 acres by survey the line between said Thomas and Nathan Lackey is to begin a a large red oak on the bank of the river near the head of a small fall in the said river and to run due north untill it --- with the back line of said survey and said Thomas Lackey is to have the lower end of said survey whereon he now lives and also I do bequeath unto said Thomas Lackey a small entry of 23 acres joining the lower end of said survey and said Nathan Lackey is to have the upper end of said survey and also I do bequeath unto said Nathan Lackey a small survey of 44 acres known by Ripleys Survey.
- I do also request that all the furniture that is in my house at the time of my decease do remain unsold during my wife Mary Lackey's life and at the time of her decese all the property belonging to my estate is at her decese to be sold and equally divided among the legato Eliz my eldest daughter Martha McKnight, Agnefs McKnight, Mary Lackey, my daughters Thomas Lackey and Nathan Lackey all the negroes which I given to each of my children are to remain as there own property and not to come back into the estate Viz to Martha McKnight I gave two negroes Alexander and Betty To Agnefs McKnight two negroes Elijah and Lola to Mary Lackey my daughter two negroes Rachel and Matthias To Thomas Lackey one negroe John to Nathan Lackey one negroe Joseph and there is eight negroes in my own pofefsion which I do allow my wife Mary Lackey to have the one third of them and the other two thirds to be sold and equally divided between each of them Viz Martha McKnight, Agnefs McKnight Mary Lackey my daughters Thomas Lackey and Nathan Lackey my sons and at my wifes Mary Lackeys decese the negroes that comes to her share is to be sold and equally divided between the aforesaid legatees and I bequeath unto my beloved son Samuel Lackey one hundred dollars Virginia --- to be paid in two years after my decese and Thomas Lackey is to pay fifty of the above mentioned hundred dollars and Nathan Lackey is to pay the other fifty dollars which will make the hundred dollars that I allow him to get and I also give said Samuel Lackey two negroes which I do allow him to keep and not to return into the estate and the negroes names Sery__ and Nanney said Samuel Lackey is to recieve the afore said sum of one hundred dollares and no more out of my estate and I do allow all my stock of horses cattle hogs and sheep and farming utencils after my wife Mary Lackey her third out of them to be sold and the money equally divided between Martha McKnight and Agnefs McKnight and Mary Lackey My daughter Thomas Lackey and Nathan Lackey and I do make and ordain Thomas and Nathan Lackey my two sons whole executors of this my will in hand for the intent and purpose in this my will contained declaring and confirming thus as my last will and testament and all former wills and bequests to be void and of none effect In --- whereof I the said James Lackey have to this my last will and testament set my hand and seal this day and year written above.
- (Signed) James Lackey (SEAL)
- Signed Sealed Published Pronounced and declared by the said James Lackey as his last will and Testament in the presence of us
- Madison Gilmore, Andrew C. Houston, Aurthor C Burks.
- At Botetourt October Court 1823.
- [Source: Botetourt County, VA Will Book C, p. 400; Transcribed by Marilyn B Headley]
- Note: "Mary" is Mary Montgomery Lackey, James' 2nd wife, whom he married in 1796.
Information on James Lackey
4. James2 Lackey/Lecky (Thomas1 Lackey) was born 1759 in Lancaster Co. PN, and died ca. 1829 in Rockbridge Co. VA. He married Isabella Gilmore, daughter of James Gilmore and Martha Dennison on 27 August 1782 in Rockbridge Co. VA. (Source: Rockbridge County Marriages, Bond made by Jas Lecky and James Dryden. James Gilmore gave consent for his under-age daughter. Test: Thomas Lecky and Joseph McAlister.) Isabella was born ca. 1762 in Augusta Co. VA. James served under his father-in-law, James Gilmore in the Battle of Cowpens. Isabella died 1794 in Rockbridge Co. leaving James a widower with seven young children, the oldest less than 13 years old. After Isabella's death, James married Mary Montgomery 27 August 1796 in Rockbridge Co. VA, daughter of James Montgomery and Mary Montgomery. They had no children (unverified).
Children of James Lackey/Lecky and Isabella Gilmore are:
- 13 i. Martha Isabella, born 1783. She married John McKnight 18 Nov.1806 in Botetourt Co. Consent by James (father), bond Thomas Lackey, wit. Thom Lackey Jr. and Wm Wilson.
- 14 ii. Elizabeth I. Lackey, born 24 June 1784.
- 15 iii. Agnes I. "Nancy" Lackey, born 08 January 1786. She married James McKnight. Bond by Thomas Lackey 1 Jan 1821 in Rockbridge Co. wit. Nathan Lackey, min. Sam'l Houston
- 16 iv. Samuel James Lackey, born 25 February 1787.
- 17 v. Thomas James Lackey, born 29 August 1788; died 06 April 1856 in Rockbridge Co. VA.
- 18 vi. Nathan Lackey, born 18 November 1791; died 01 December 1846 in Botetourt Co. VA.
- 19 vii.Mary Jane Lackey, born 28 September 1792; died 27 November 183
- 1.Will of James Lackey 1822.
- 2.Lackey Family Bible (1807), owned by Joseph H Knick, Martinez Georgia.
- 3.Will of James Gilmore 22 June 1781-Isabella is named in her father's will.
- 4.Vogt & Kethley, Jr. Botetourt County Marriages 1770-1853, Vol I
Help fund new features!