Facts and Events
James Givens was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
- ↑ IGI Record.
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land in Virginia:
- Page 1 - James Givens, 30 acres, Givens Draft. March 17, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 1].
- Page 145 - James Givens, 75 acres. Adjoining George Crawford, by the Great Road. June 25, 1769. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 52].
NOte: George Crawford lived on Middle River, adjacent to James Givens. John Givens Sr and JOhn Givens Jr, witnessed his will in 1780.
Will of James Givens
- Will of James Givens 1801 Book G p 33
- In the name of God Amen, I James Givens of the County of Lincoln being of an advanced age in life but of sound disposed mind and memory and calling to mind the uncertainty of this life and knowing that God has appointed for all men to die for the better regulation of my worldly affairs, I do hereby make and ordain this my last will and testament and first place I give and bequeath to my eldest son, Samuel Givens the tract of land whereon he now lives, containing one hundred fifty two acres which I purchased from Robert Dangharty,
- Item, I give and bequeath to my son Robert Givens two-hundred and fifty acres of land that I claim in the state of Tennessee on the waters of the Red River bing a part of the preemption of six hundred and forty acres granted to me by the Govenor of North Carolina as one of the original settlers of the Cumberland County.
- Item, I give and bequeath to my son John Givens fifty acres of land to include the plantation where he now lives, but if he should so choose at any time thereafter to move from it, then the said fifty acres of land is to descend to my son Benjamin Givens upon the payment by him of One Hundred and fifty pounds to my son John Givens.
- Item: I give and bequeath to my son Benjamin Givens the plantation wheron I live with all residents of the lands which I own adjoingint thereto and not herein already bequeathed to either of my two sons, be the same more or less being the residue of teh tract I love on and the land I purchased of the Executors of John Carpenter, deceased. I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Martha Givens my negro woman, Cata to be at her whole and sole disposal at her death. And I also lend to my said widow, Martha, my negro girl, Mary, during the life of said wife Martha.
- Item: I give to my son Benjamin Givens my slaves Dick, Jack, Mary Willoby, Cabbell and Hannah, and he is to pay my two daughters Sally Campbell and Martha Givens each in property the sum fifty dollars at the end of twelve months after my decease. And my son Benjamin is also to to supply my wife Martha an ample and comfortable support with the sole use of her room during her natural life. I also give and bequeath with to my son Samuel Givens, fifty dollars worth of live stock which I now own. I also give and bequeath to my son Benjamin Givens all the residue of my of my stocks of horses, cattle, sheep and hogs together with all my farming utinsils of every kind and all my household furniture of every description and lastly, I do hereby appoint my sons Robert Givens and Benjamin Givens Executors of this my last will and testament in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this first day of May in the year of our Lord 1801.
- (signed) James Givens
- Signed and sealed in the presence of us: George Givens, Isaac Shelby
- Memo before signed that my son Benjamin Givens is also to pay to my son John Givens the sum of fifty dollars worth of property to make his share more equal with my other sons shares.
- At a Court helf for Lincoln County on the 18th day of July 1801, the within will was proved by the oath of Isaac Shelby and George Givens to be the act and deed of the within named James Givens and ordered to be recorded.
- Witness: James Montgomery DC LCC
- [Source: LDS Film 0982311]
Information on James Givens
Family Group Record FamilySearch® Ancestral File™ v4.19
James GIVENS (AFN:L737-P0)
Born: 1723 Place: Of, Antrim, Ireland
Died: 19 Nov 1790 Place: , Lincoln, Kentucky (s/b bef. 18 July 1801)
Buried: Bef 20 1790 Apr Place: Stone Church, Augusta, Virginia
Married: 1748 Place:
Father: Samuel GIVENS (AFN:26ZH-32)
Mother: Sarah CATHEY (AFN:26ZH-47)
Martha ALLEN (AFN:P4DL-JG)
Born: 1727 Place: Of, , Augusta, Virginia
Died: 11 Apr 1803 Place: , Lincoln, Kentucky
Married: 1748 Place:
Father: Robert ALLEN (AFN:1M95-RC6)
Mother: Deborah MONTGOMERY (AFN:1M95-RDD)
1. Sex Name
F Deborah GIVENS (AFN:NZ25-6L)
Born: 19 Aug 1749 Place: , Augusta, Virginia
Christened: 19 Aug 1749 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
Died: 1825 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
2. Sex Name
F Sally GIVENS (AFN:NZ25-48)
Born: 20 Jul 1751 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
Died: 1801/1805 Place: , , Lincoln, Kentucky
3. Sex Name
M Benjamin GIVENS (AFN:NZ25-8X)
Born: 28 Jan 1768 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
Died: 13 Feb 1844 Place: , Howard Co., Missouri
4. Sex Name
F Hannah GIVENS (AFN:NZ24-NV)
Born: 25 Feb 1776 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
Died: 29 Mar 1809 Place: , Lincoln Co, KY
5. Sex Name
F Margaret GIVENS (AFN:ZF3L-G3)
Born: 23 Jun 1753 Place: , Augusta, Virginia
Died: Place: , , , Virginia
6. Sex Name
M Samuel GIVENS (AFN:ZF3L-RM)
Born: 11 Jan 1756 Place: , Augusta, Virginia
Died: 22 Feb 1814 Place: , Lincoln Co, KY
7. Sex Name
F Mary GIVENS (AFN:ZF3L-MX)
Born: 4 Nov 1755 Place: , Augusta, Virginia
Died: Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
8. Sex Name
F Martha GIVENS (AFN:9X9F-T8)
Born: 31 Jul 1761 Place: Of, , Augusta, Virginia
Died: 1 Apr 1842 Place: , , Monroe, Indiana
9. Sex Name
M Robert GIVENS (AFN:ZF3M-6T)
Born: 11 Jan 1758 Place: , Augusta, Virginia
Died: 16 Oct 1844 Place: , Lincoln Co, KY
10. Sex Name
M John GIVENS (AFN:ZF3M-86)
Born: 15 Jan 1766 Place: , Augusta, Virginia
Died: 17 Feb 1818 Place: , Lincoln Co, KY
11. Sex Name
M James GIVENS (AFN:26ZH-XC)
Born: 8 Jan 1764 Place: , Augusta, Virginia
Died: 11 Jul 1832 Place: , Lincoln Co, KY
12. Sex Name
F Mary GIVENS (AFN:26ZJ-1T)
Born: 20 Jul 1770 Place: , Augusta, VA
Died: 1 Feb 1850 Place: , , Augusta, Virginia
Help fund new features!