Jacob Argenbright, of Cub Run, Augusta County, VA
Facts and Events
Jacob Argenbright, Sr. was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 723.--1st August, 1764. Christian Curp and Catherine ( ) to Jacob Archenbright, labourer, £90, 100 acres on a branch of Cub Run purchased by Christian of Valentine Pence, and his part of Francisco's tract of 3,100 acres; corner lands of Valentine Pence and John Craig. Teste: Jacob Nicolas, Jacob ( ) Passinger, Burr Harrison. Delivered: Jacob Archenbright. August, 1769.
- Page 725.--20th November, 1764. Jacob ( ) Passinger and Catherine ( ) to Jacob Archenbright. £__, 325 acres between Cub Run and the Peaked Mountain the same that Jacob purchased of Phillip Haws, to whom it was patented 14th February, 1761; corner a survey of Nicolas Trout. Jacob Pence's line. Delivered: Jacob Archenbright, August, 1769.
- Page 223.--18th September, 1768. Henry Long and Catharine ( ) to Jacob Arkinbright, £31.10, 125 acres, remainder of 250 acres patented 12th August, 1760, to said Henry, the other moiety being sold to George Fridley, on a branch between the Peaked Mountain and Shanandoah River. Teste: Adam Pence, Jacob Pence, John Archenbright. Delivered: Jacob Archembright, August, 1769.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 275.--23d October, 1769. Jacob ( ) Archenbright, yeoman, to George Conrad, blacksmith, £40, mortgage, on Cub Run, purchased by Jacob from Christian Grub, whereon Jacob lately lived, containing 100 acres. Teste: John Gabriel Jones, William Roebuck. Delivered: George Conrod, 11th November, 1771.
- Page 237.--26th May, 1771. Jacob Argabright ( ) and Susanna Marrett ( ) to Conrat Smither, £35 acres, remainder of 250 acres patented to Jacob, 20th August, 1760, the other half of which Jacob sold to Election George Fridley, between Peaked Mountain and Shanandoh River. Teste: Archibald Huston, Valentine Cloninger.
- Page 169.--16th March, 1772. Jacob ( ) Argen(Archen)bright and Susannah ( ) to Henry Sturtsnocker, £33.10, 126 acres between Cub Run and the Peaked Mountain patented to Philip Haws 14th February, 1761, and by him conveyed to Jacob Parsenger 17th June, 1762, and by him to grantor here 20th November, 1764; corner Nicholas Trout; corner Jacob Pence. Teste: Samuel and James Craig, Jacob Nicolas, Valentine Lioninger. Not delivered.
Processioning List of 1767-68
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 448.--1767-68: Processioned by Augustine Price and Frederick Armontrout, viz: For Peter Teasler, for Peter Seller, for Michael Shurle, for John Coutts, for Jacob Man, for John Man, for Jacob Herman, for Henry Long for George Mellow, for Anthony Aeiler, for Jacob Nicholas, for John Hetrick, for Henry Seller, for Alveness Roy(g)ers, for Christopher Deter for George Man, for Peter Miller, for George Miller, for George Fridle, for Peter Herman, Jr.; for Augustine Price, Anthony Aeiler present; for Jacob Arcebright, for Adam Heterick, for Adam Pens, for Jacob Miller, for James Fraiser, for Thomas Burke, for Peachey Gilmore for Charles Rush, for Fredk. Armentrout, for David Fraizer, for Jno. Craige.
Records of Jacob Argenbright in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley’s Augusta County Records:
- Page 198.--__ April, 1755. Valentine Pence and Catherine ( ) to Christian Crup, £20, 100 acres on branch of Cub Run, part of 3100 acres formerly Christopher Francisco's. Cor. said Valentine and John Craig. Delivered Jacob Auchenbright, 31st July, 1764.
- Page 445.--17th June, 1762. Philip Haws, of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, to Jacob Passenger, £30, 125 acres between Cub Run and Picked Mountain, patented to Haws, 14th February, 1761. Cor. Nicholas Trout, Jacob Pence's line. Teste: Jacob ( ) Pence, Adam Pence. Delivered: Jacob Argenbright, November, 1764.
- Vol. 1 - NOVEMBER 23, 1767. - (453) Witnesses: Jacob Arckenbright, John Fudge, Samuel Maggott.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH, 1768 (E). - Jacob Argenbright, in account with Isaac Heslap. Sworn to in Spottsylvania before Charles Yates.
- Page 489.--17th May, 1768. Antony Ealer to Jacob Archenbright and Augustine Price, £24.4, 2 stills and all the tubs, 6 cows. Teste: J. Maury, Jr.
- Page 345.--21st March, 1769. John Sibert (Sciber), late of North Carolina, but now of North Carolina (?), son of Andrew Sibert, deceased, binds himself apprentice to Jacob ( ) Archenbright, to be taught the trade, occupation or science of a blacksmith, which Jacob now useth, until he is 21, John being now 16 years and 6 months. Delivered: John Siber, May, 1774.
- Vol. 1 - MARCH 23, 1769. - (104) John Sibert binds himself to Jacob Argenbright.
- Page 239.--17th August, 1769. Settlement recorded of estate of StephenConrad (Geo. Conrod, executor)--Paid, viz: Jacob Bear, John Fudge, Jno. Michl. Stophelmire, Mathias Kersh, Michl. Summy, Jno. Seller, Valentine Mitcher, Paul Lingal, Mauks Swadley, Jacob Archinbright, Peter Smith, Saml. Maggot, Michl. Shirley, Jacob Shell, Christian Pikle, Jacob Peters, Conrad Peterfish, George Fullingar, Geo. Mallo.
- Page 124.--13th March, 1773. Henry Sellers to Adam Sellers. Teste: Jacob Nicholas, Augustine ( ) Price, Jacob ( ) Argabrite. Delivered: Jno. Sellers, August Court, 1776.
- Vol. 2 - Marriage Bond in Augusta County - 1798--March 26, Jacob Argenbright, Jr,. and Lewis Mowry, surety. Jacob Argenbright, Jr., and Christena Mowry, daughter of said Lewis Maurer.
Information on Jacob Argenbright
Family information from MyRootsPlace.com