Facts and Events
George Poage was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Early Land Surveys in Augusta County:
- George Poage, 37 acres, Middle River. Adjoining David Stephenson, Thomas Stephenson. March 18, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 4].
- George Poage, 46 acres. Middle River. Adjoining Stevenson, Hughes. March 18, 1761. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 4].
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 730.--12th November, 1764. Thomas Hadley and Mary of Cumberland Co.. N. C.. to George Poage, £140, 400 acres in Forks of James River and Craig's Creek. Teste: Henry Carter.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 216.--10th October, 1765. George Poage and Rachel ( ) to William Logan, £115, 210 acres conveyed to George by Thomas Hadley. in Forks of James River and Craigs Creek, opposite John Crawford, land of George Poage. Teste: Andrew ( ) Crawford, Jonathan ( ) Richeson, John Kirkland.
- Poage, George - Will Probate Dec. 1786
- Names children: Elizabeth Shirkey, Rachel, Margaret, Experience, Mary, George and John "who is six years old".
- [Source: Early Marriages, Wills and some Revolutionary War Records, Botetourt County, Virginia, Compiled by Anne Lowry Worrell, pg. 61].
Records of George Poage in Augusta County, VA
- Page 222.--9th March, 1767. Malcom Allen and Mary ( ) to Patrick Willson, £45, 80 acres by patent dated 16th September, 1765, on James River, George Poage's land. Teste: Gabriel Smithers, Hugh and Moses Allen. Delivered: Wm. McClenachan, July, 1769.
- Page 587.--7th August, 1769. Patrick ( ) Wilson to William McClenachan, mortgage, £36.6.2, on James River, George Poage's line, purchased by Patrick of Malcomb Allen by deed, 9th March, 1760. Teste: John Maxwell, Audly Paul, James Neelly, John Buchanan, William Hall. Delivered: William McClenachan, August, 1770.
- Page 216.--20th 8ber, 1773. Robert Poack's will--To sons, John and Thomas, "My real estate, 260 acres, lying upon a branch of Linvel's Creek; to daughter, Martha Woods, 1 pistole; to sons, Robert, George, and William, 1 pistole; to daughters, Elizabeth Crawford, Margaret Robertson, 1 pistole. Executors, William Lewis and son John Poage. Teste: John Craig, Isabella Helena Craig, Charles Baskin. Proved, 16th March, 1774, by John Craig, Clerk, and Baskins. (No administration order.)
- Vol. 3 - Ded Book 26 - Page 453.--On Sidlington's Creek. Teste: Samuel Vance, Geo. Poage, Alex. Gibson.
Help fund new features!