Gawin 'Guine' Leeper
Facts and Events
||Gawin 'Guine' Leeper
||to Margaret Brown
Gawin Leeper was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 544.--15th February, 1755. Andrew Leeper and Jane to Gawin Leeper, £120, 299 in Beverley Manor, part of 526 acres sold by Beverley to James Leeper and by James to Andrew; corner Nicholas Leeper.
- Page 118.--16th May, 1759. Same (From James Leeper) to son, Gawen Leeper, £5, on Naked Creek, part of two patents dated June 5, 1747. and April 26, 1742, 353 acres. Delivered: D. Laird by your order, July, 1763.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 80.--21st March, 1759. Gawen Leeper to Thos. Tate, £130, 299 acres in Beverley Manor; corner Nicholas Leeper. Teste: Randal Lockhart, Walter Davis, Robt. Steel.
- Page 275.--17th March, 1778. John Leeper and Susanna, and Gawin Leeper, to Anthony Aylor. 150 acres patented to James Leeper; 100 acres patented to John Leeper, 20th July, 1768, corner land he lives on.
Records in Augusta County, VA
From Chalkley's: [unless otherwise listed]
- Page 236.--5th October, 1765. Nicholas Leeper to Margaret Leeper, £105, 227 acres in Beverley Manor; corner James Moody, said James Leeper's line. Teste: Andrew, Gawin and John Leeper. Delivered: Margaret Leeper, May, 1767.
- Land Grant Survey: Page 125 - Hugh Donaho, 231 acres, Naked Creek. Adjoining Gawan Leeper and his own line. March 7, 1768. [Abstract of Land Grant Surveys, 1761-1791, Augusta & Rockingham Counties, Virginia, by Peter Cline Kaylor, pg. 45].
- Page 386.-[abt. November 1776] - Teste: James Anderson, Robert Kinney, Gawin Leeper.
- Page 430.--19th January, 1779. Nicholas Leeper by George Seawright, his attorney, to John Oliver. Gawin Leaper, late of Augusta, sold to John Oliver 66 acres patented to James Leeper, father to said Gawen, 5th June, 1747. James died intestate and land became vested in Nicholas Leeper as heir (?).
Information on Gawin Leeper
(6) GAWIN LEEPER, SIXTH NAMED IN THE IMPORTATION RECORDS, APPEARS TO HAVE
BEEN IN AUGUSTA COUNTY UNTIL 1778. HE SIGNED A LAND TITLE ALONE, WHICH MIGHT
INDICATE HE IS STILL UNMARRIED. IN 1779 THE COUNTY RECORD SPEAKS OF HIM AS
"LATE IN AUGUSTA".
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Name: William BROWN Jr.
Birth: abt 1760 Anson Co., North Carolina (Craven Co., South Carolina)
Death: abt 1832 St. Clair Co., Alabama
Father: William BROWN Sr. (~1732-~1803)
Mother: Elizabeth Black (~1733-~1764)
Marriage: abt 1783 Hawkins Co., North Carolina
Spouse: Mary Ann Leeper
Birth: abt 1768 Augusta Co., Virginia
Death: BET 1834 AND 1840 St. Clair Co., Alabama
Father: Gawen (Guine) Leeper (~1736-~1794)
Mother: Margaret Brown (~1747->1801)