Facts and Events
Andrew Leeper was one of the Early Settlers of Augusta County, Virginia
Early Land Acquisition in Augusta County, VA
Acquisition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 520.--16th June, 1752. James Leeper, blacksmith, and Margaret, to Andrew Leeper, planter, 299 acres in Beverley Manor, part of 525 acres from Beverley to James; corner Nicholas Leeper.
- Page 245.--8th May, 1753. George Scott to Andrew Leeper, 278 acres Cathey's alias Middle River, Wm. Thompson's land; Hugh Thompson's cor. Teste: Hugh Thompson, Samuel Henderson, Henry Downes.
Disposition of Land from Chalkley's:
- Page 544.--15th February, 1755. Andrew Leeper and Jane to Gawin Leeper, £120, 299 in Beverley Manor, part of 526 acres sold by Beverley to James Leeper and by James to Andrew; corner Nicholas Leeper. [Note: Gawin Leeper was a younger brother of Andrew, both were sons of James Leeper, Sr.]
- Page 318.--19th March, 1767. Andrew Leeper and Jean to John King, £180, 278 acres on Middle River of Shanando; corner Hugh Thompson. Teste: Gilbert Christian, John Ramsey, Wm. Black. Delivered: John King, March, 1768.
Processioning List of 1756
- "Processioning" was the periodic review and agreement of property lines between settler's lands. Processioning Lists are useful in determining the general area of a settlers lands and their neighbors at specific time periods:
- Page 177.-- 1756: Processioned by Robert Hook and Pat. Frazier, viz: For Edward Beard, for Margt. Laburn, for James Craig, for Gasper Vought, for James Craig (same as above), for Henry Pirkey, for Mathew Thompson, for Andrew Leeper, for Henry Leaburn, for John Bell Vought, for John Stevenson, for Wm. Beard, for Archibald Huston.
Records in Augusta County, VA
- Page 215.--2d October, 1757. William Bell's appraisement, by Andrew Leeper, James Leeper, Hugh Donohy.
- Page 63.--6th October, 1758. Hendry Downs and Francis to Joseph Hanna, £100, 300 acres on South River, Shanando, lower end of tract Joseph now lives on, and part of 400 patented to Alexander Thompson, 30th July, 1742. Teste: Andrew Leeper. Delivered: Joseph Hanna, June, 1772.
- Page 353.--14th March, 1760. William Craig's appraisement, by Saml. henderson, Jas. Beard, Andw. Leeper. John Craig, debtor; James Craig, debtor.
- Page 155.--29th January, 1761. John Madison and Agatha to William Lamb, £300, 363 acres purchased of William Thompson, south bank of Middle River; cor. Andrew Leeper, fork of the river; cor. William Baskins, Buffelow Run. Delivered: Wm. Lamb, September, 1768.
- Page 236.--5th October, 1765. Nicholas Leeper to Margaret Leeper, £105, 227 acres in Beverley Manor; corner James Moody, said James Leeper's line. Teste: Andrew, Gawin and John Leeper. Delivered: Margaret Leeper, May, 1767.
- Page 443.--22d October, 1765. Margaret Leeper's settlement, recorded of estate of James Leeper--Paid to the heirs, viz: To Isiah Curry, Andrew Leeper, Wm. McMullen, Geo. Leeper, Jno. Seawright, Nicholas Leeper. Jno. Leeper. Margaret Leeper, Jr., Saml. Henderson, Jas. Leeper, Jr., in his life time.
- Page 483.--25th. September [prob. 1766]. David Via's estate appraised, by Samuel Henderson, Wm. Lamme, Andw. Leeper.
Information on Andrew Leeper
(4) ANDREW LEEPER, FOURTH NAMED IN THE IMPORTATION RECORDS, MARRIED JANE (JEAN) THOMPSON, A DAUGHTER OF HUGH THOMPSON. IN HUGH THOMPSON'S WILL FOUR LEEPER CHILDREN ARE NAMED ANDREW AND JEAN SEPERATELY, HUGH AND ELIZABETH TOGETHER AS IF BROTHER AND SISTER. PRESUBABLY IN THIS FAMILY