- Ohio, United States
This article will eventually have links to Person pages of members of the 1st Ohio Heavy Artillery, a bibliography of 1 OHA materials, a unit history, etc.
(From Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System)
- Regiment organized at Portsmouth, Ohio, as the 117th Ohio Volunteer Infantry 15 September 1862.
- Ordered to Kentucky 2 October 1862.
- Attached to District of Eastern Kentucky, Dept. of the Ohio, October 1862 to February 1863.
- Covington, Ky., District Kentucky, Dept. Ohio, to August 1863.
- Designation of Regiment changed to 1st Heavy Artillery 2 May 863.
- District of North Central Kentucky, Dept. Ohio, to April 1864.
- 2nd Brigade, 4th Division, 23rd Army Corps, Dept. of Ohio, to February 1865.
- 1st Brigade, 4th Division, District of East Tennessee, Dept. of the Cumberland, to July 1865.
- Mustered out at Knoxville, Tennessee 25 July 1865.
Service (Troop Movement):
- Ordered to Kentucky, 2 October 1862.
- Camped at Ashland, Ky., until January 1863.
- Moved to Paintsville, Ky., thence to Covington, Ky., via Peach Orchard, Louisa and Catlettsburg, February 1863.
- Constructing fortifications around Coverington and Newport, Ky., until August. Guard duty in Kentucky by detachments, Company D at Paris, Companies F and I at Lexington, H, K, L and M at Camp Nelson, until January 1864.
- At Camp Burnside 14 January to 19 February.
- Marched over mountains to Knoxville, Tenn., February 19 - March 9 and duty there till June.
- On railroad guard duty in Tennessee till September. Murphy, N. C., 28 June (Companies C, H, L, M).
- Repulse of Wheeler's attacks on the Chattanooga, Knoxville & Virginia Railroad, August. Athens August 1 (Detachment).
- Pursuit of Confederates from Athens into North Carolina 1-3 August. Murphy, N. C., August 2 (Companies C, H, L, M). Detachments from Companies C, H, L, M).
- Sweetwater and Philadelphia 20 August (Detachments).
- Strawberry Plains, 24 August.
- Gillem's Expedition from East Tennessee toward Southwestern Virginia 20 September - 17 October. (Companies B, F, G, I and K).
- Moved to Cleveland, Tenn., 7 October, thence to Chattanooga 11 October and return to Cleveland 19 October.
- Duty at Cleveland and Charleston until December.
- Foraging Expeditions on the French Broad and Chucky River in East Tennessee and North Carolina December 1864, to January 1865.
- Stoneman's Campaign in Southwest Virginia and Western North Carolina February to April 1865.
- Duty in District of East Tennessee, Dept. of the Cumberland, to July.
- Mustered out 25 July 1865 at Knoxville, Tennessee.
Section D, Knoxville National Cemetery where several members of the 1st Ohio Heavy Artillery are buried
Regiment lost during service 6 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 1 Officer and 164 Enlisted men by disease. Total 171.
Field and Staff (partial)
Company E (partial)
Company F (partial)
Company G (partial)
Company H (partial)
Company I (partial)
Company K (partial)
Company L (partial)
Company M (partial)
Help fund new features!