Frequently asked questions
What are user pages?
- User Pages are password-protected research pages that only the original author can edit
- Everyone on WeRelate can see information on user pages, but unlike other pages, only the user who created a user page can modify its content
- User pages can contain:
- Information on the families you are researching
- A "to-do'" list
- An index of links to all your genealogy websites
- Or pretty much anything you choose
- Talk Pages associated with the User Pages allow other users to comment on your pages
- User Pages allow you to have Your own Places on WeRelate
What is the difference between user pages and shared research pages?
- User Pages are password protected, so that they can only be edited by the original creator
- Shared Research Pages are community pages that can be edited by any registered WeRelate user
How do I create a user page?
- Click My Relate in the blue bar at the top of the screen.
- Select Dashboard
- On the Dashboard page, click Add User Page in the "User Pages" box at the bottom
How do I find my user pages?
- Click on My Relate in the blue bar at the top of the screen
- Click on Dashboard and your User Pages will be listed at the bottom in the "User Pages" box
How do I edit my user pages?
- Open the user page and click on the Edit link at the top of the screen
- If the "Edit" option does not appear, you are either not signed in, or you are not the original creator of this page
- Remember, only you can edit the User Pages that you create
How do I find someone else's user pages?
- Click Search in the blue bar at the top of the screen and select "User Pages"
- Enter their username and/or any part of the page's contents you remember as keywords, and click "Search"
- Locate the correct page in the list of results
- See the Search tutorial for more information
Who can edit my user pages?
- Only someone who has signed in with your username and password may edit your user pages.
How can I comment on someone's user page?
- All user pages have associated talk pages where anyone can post comments. The talk page is not password protected.
When will my changes start showing up in searches?
- Your changes will take effect immediately
- Your changes will begin to show up in Searches the following day
- Pages are indexed every night, so if you created a new page, made changes to an existing page, or added new words on an existing page, they will start showing up in searches the following day
Titles for user pages
- The title of a User Page consists of three parts:
- Like articles, there are no hard rules for User Page titles
- They should be brief and specific, and must be no more than 255 characters in length
- For more information:
- Page Titles Help
- User Profiles Help