|Name||Wrenbury cum Frith|
|Alt names||Wrenbury-cum-Frith||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Wrenbury||source: name of main village|
|Gaunton's Bank||source: hamlet in parish|
|Pinsley Green||source: hamlet in parish|
|Porter's Hill||source: hamlet in parish|
|Smeaton Wood||source: hamlet in parish|
|Wrenbury Heath||source: hamlet in parish|
|Wrenburywood||source: hamlet in parish|
|Type||Township, Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Acton, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Wrenbury is a village in the civil parish of Wrenbury cum Frith located in the unitary authority of Cheshire East, and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. It lies on the River Weaver, around 8.5 miles south-west of Crewe.
The civil parish of Wrenbury cum Frith covers the village of Wrenbury and the small settlements of Gaunton's Bank, Pinsley Green, Porter's Hill, Smeaton Wood, Wrenbury Heath and Wrenburywood. It has a total population of around 1,100.
Wrenbury cum Frith was a township in Acton and Wrenbury ancient parishes in Nantwich Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The population was 404 in 1801, 490 in 1851, 491 in 1901 and 708 in 1951. (Source: GENUKI)
The ancient parish church for the township of Wrenbury cum Frith was dedicated to St. Margaret. Since 1893 St. Winefrede in Bickley has been a parish church for part of Wrenbury cum Frith. There was also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Wrenbury Heath, buil in 1848 and closed in 1918.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Wrenbury. Includes a map of the village.
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Wrenbury cum Frith, Cheshire, England | Acton, Cheshire, England | Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, England | Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, England | Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England