|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Norfolk, England|
|See also||Diss Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Guiltcross Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1902|
|Depwade Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Winfarthing is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk. It is located 6 km north of the town of Diss, 20 km east of the town of Thetford, and 30 km south of the city of Norwich.
The civil parish has an area of 10.8 km2 (4.2 sq mi) and in the 2001 UK census had a population of 403 in 162 households, the population increasing to 503 at the 2011 UK census. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of South Norfolk.
The village is a prime example of a linear village, being strung out along the B1077 road between Diss and Attleborough for around 2 km/1.25m. Farming is the primary local business, with several dairy, arable and pig farms in the surrounding area.
King Henry VIII is known to have visited the area, and there was a large oak tree in the village at that time that was standing until the late 20th century.
The parish was a demesne of the King until c. 1189 in the reign of Henry II, when it was sold off to a private land owner. In 1600, there were 189 communicants, and by 1739, there were 50 dwelling-houses and about 260 inhabitants in total, at which point the parish was valued for tax purposes at £924 (£129000 today).
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Winfarthing. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
Categories: Norfolk, England | Winfarthing, Norfolk, England | Diss Hundred, Norfolk, England | Guiltcross Rural, Norfolk, England | Depwade Rural, Norfolk, England | South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England