- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Wheathampstead is a village and civil parish in the St. Albans District or City of St. Albans in Hertfordshire, England. It is north of St Albans city centre and east of Harpenden. Up until 1859, Wheathampstead and Harpenden were part of a single rectory.
The population of the ward of Wheathampstead at the time of the 2001 census was recorded as 6,058. This includes several hamlets in the parish. (The maps show Dane, Mackreye End, and Amwell.)
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Wheathampstead from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "WHEATHAMPSTEAD, a village and a parish in St. Albans [registration] district, Herts. The village stands on the river Lee and on the Hertford and Dunstable railway, 5 miles NNW of St. Albans; was known, at Domesday, as Watamestede; was the meeting-place of the barons, in 1312, against Edward II.; and has a post-office under St. Albans, and a [railway] station. The parish includes two hamlets, and comprises 5,033 acres. Real property: £9,848. Population: 1,960. Houses: 395. The manor was given, by Edward the Confessor, to Westminster Abbey. Mackrey-End, Delaport, and Lamer are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £730. Patron: the Bishop of Peterborough. The church is cruciform, with central tower and spire, and was restored in 1866. There are Independent and Wesleyan chapels, handsome national schools of 1862, and charities £195. Abbot Bostock, who died in 1440, was a native."