Place:West Bilney, Norfolk, England

NameWest Bilney
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.7056°N 0.5296°E
Located inNorfolk, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoFreebridge Lynn Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Freebridge Lynn Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
East Winch, Norfolk, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1935
King's Lynn and West Norfolk District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of West Bilney from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BILNEY (West), a parish in Freebridge-Lynn [registration] district, Norfolk; on the Lynn and Dereham railway, at Bilney station, 7 miles ESE of Kings-Lynn. Post Town: East Winch, under Lynn. Acres: 2,750. Real property: £2,439. Population: 253. Houses: 50. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £60. Patron: J. Dalton, Esq. The church is ancient. Charities, £.6 and a fuel allotment."

West Bilney ceased to be a civil parish in 1935 when it was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of East Winch.

There is no article in Wikipedia.

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides a list of references for West Bilney. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
  • GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch: