Wellow is a civil parish in Somerset, England, about five miles south of Bath. It used to have a railway station on the Somerset and Dorset Joint Line, which closed in 1966, and a tunnel on the Radstock arm of the Somerset Coal Canal. There is a low water crossing (Irish Bridge) and late mediaeval packhorse bridge over Wellow Brook. The parish church is dedicated to St. Julian and has origins before the 12th century although the present building dates from 1372. The church is a grade I listed building.
The parish, which includes the hamlets of Twinhoe, White Ox Mead, Baggridge and part of Midford had a population of 529 in the UK census of 2011.
1822 - Somersetshire delineated by Christopher & John Greenwood
A parish in the hundred to which it gives name, 4½ miles S. from Bath ; containing 163 inhabited houses, and 175 families, 125 of whom are employed in agriculture. The river Cam runs through this parish, in its way to the Avon, parallel with which a canal was formed from Midford to Radstock : it is now filled up, and made into a railway. In this parish several tessellated pavements and other Roman antiquities have been discovered at different periods. The church is a handsome edifice, dedicated to St. Julian, and was. built by Sir Walter Hungerford about the year 1372; it consists of a nave, chancel, and two side aisles, with a tower at the west end containing a clock and eight bells. The living is a curacy, in the deanery of Frome ; Rev. Frederick Gardiner, incumbent; instituted 1801. Population, 1801, 77O — 1811, 728 — 1821, 817.
1831 - A Topographical Dictionary of England (Samuel Lewis)
Wellow, a parish in the hundred of WELLOW, county of SOMERSET, 4½ miles (S.) from Bath, containing 817 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Wells, and diocese of Bath and Wells, rated in the king's books at £20. 6. 10d., and in the patronage of Edward Gardiner, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Julian, was built by Sir Walter Hungerford, about 1732. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A railway from the Welton collieries, communicating with the Avon and Kennet, and the Radford coal canals, passes through the parish. Ten poor children are educated for £10 a year, the bequest of Rachael Coles, in 1756 ; and two for a rent-charge of £2, the gift of Daniel Sumner, in 1699.
Among numerous other Roman relics discovered in the neighbourhood, a tesselated pavement was found in 1644, another in 1670, and a third in 1685, with altars, pillars, and fragments of paterae, and other vessels. At the extremity of the parish is an immense barrow, called Woodeborough, and another smaller one has been found to contain several stone coffins.
1868 - National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Wellow, a parish in the hundred of Wellow, county Somerset, 4½ miles S. of Bath, and 5 W. of the Freshford station on the Wilts, Somerset, and Weymouth railway. The village is situated under Woodeboro' barrow, on the tram-road from the Welton collieries communicating with the Avon and Kennet and Radford canals. It is noted for its strawberry gardens, and has Bray's Down collieries near the hamlet of Shoscombe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £350. The church, dedicated to St. Julian, was nearly rebuilt in 1370, and restored in 1845. The interior contains an oak roof, open oak seats, and several monuments to the Hungerford family. The register dates from 1561. The Wesleyans have a chapel. There are National and Sunday schools, the former endowed with £10 per annum. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. Among numerous other Roman relics, tesselated pavements, altars, pillars, and fragments of pateræ, were discovered here in 1644, 1670, and 1685. On the manor of Littleton is a Celtic burial-place, and near the extremity of the parish is the large barrow called Woodeboro'. A fair is held on the 20th October for cattle and sheep.