Place:Warehorne, Kent, England

Watchers
NameWarehorne
Alt namesWerahornesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 150
Leaconsource: settlement in parish
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates51.058°N 0.837°E
Located inKent, England
See alsoHam Hundred, Kent, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, Englandfurther ancient county division in which it was located
East Ashford Rural, Kent, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Ashford District, Kent, Englanddistrict municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Warehorne is a village and civil parish in the south of the Ashford Borough of Kent, England. It is a scattered community centred on the Hamstreet to Tenterden road (B2067) around seven miles SSW of Ashford. The Royal Military Canal passes through the south of the civil parish.

The main part of Warehorne is near the central village green. The grade I listed St Matthew's Church and The Woolpack Inn are linked by a tunnel built by smugglers. A second part of the village is known as the Leacon. This is sited at the crossroads on the B2067 and contains the former schoolhouse and now abandoned cricket field. The remainder of mostly forested Warehorne (one third of the area and all in the northern half) borders on the village of Kenardington. Part of the larger village of Hamstreet falls within Warehorne's parish boundaries.

Warehorne was originally an ancient parish in Ham Hundred and also in the Romney Marsh Liberty. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the East Ashford Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Ashford District.

Research Tips

  • Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
  • Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
  • For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
  • Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
  • Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
  • Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
  • Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
  • The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Warehorne. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.