|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Blackbourne Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Ham Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England||further ancient county division in which it was located|
|Tenterden Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Ashford District, Kent, England||district municipality to which the parish was transferred in 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Kenardington is a small clustered village and the centre of a relatively small rural civil parish of the same name, in the Ashford District of
Kent, England. The village is centred southwest of Ashford on the B2067 Hamstreet to Tenterden road.
Kenardington was originally an ancient parish in Ham Hundred, Blackbourne Hundred and also in the Romney Marsh Liberty. Between 1894 and 1974 it was part of the Tenterden Rural District. Since 1974 the area is covered by the non-metropolitan Ashford District.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Kenardington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "KENARDINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Tenterden [registration] district, Kent; near the Royal Military canal, 1½ mile SW of Ham-Street [railway] station, and 7 SSW of Ashford. Post town: Ham-Street, under Ashford. Acres: 2,160. Real property: £3,222. Population: 221. Houses: 42. Much of the land is occupied with coppice, called Silcox-wood. An ancient earthwork is on elevated ground, near the village; is connected, by a narrow causeway, with another ancient earthwork in the marsh below; and these works are supposed by some to have been formed by the ancient British, or by others to have been formed, about 893, during the wars between Alfred and the Danes. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £114. Patron: Mrs. Breton. The church comprises aisle and chancel, with a bell turret; and succeeded one which was destroyed by lightning in 1559."
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Kenardington, Kent, England | Ham Hundred, Kent, England | Blackbourne Hundred, Kent, England | Romney Marsh Liberty, Kent, England | Tenterden Rural, Kent, England | Ashford District, Kent, England