- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is another parish named Swell in the neighbouring county of Somerset.
The former civil parishes of Upper Swell and Lower Swell merged into the single civil parish of Swell in Gloucestershire, England in 1935.
The two Gloucestershire villages are located in the Cotswold District immediately west of the town of Stow-on-the-Wold.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Upper Swell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "SWELL (Upper), a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester; 2 miles NNW of Stow-on-the-Wold r. station. Post town, Stow-on-the-Wold, under Moreton-in-Marsh. Acres: 1,460. Real property: £1,615. Population: 65. Houses: 17. The manor belongs to Pole, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £90: Patron: Pole, Esq. The church was partially restored in 1814."
Stow-on-the-Wold (1837 - 1935)
Stow-on-the-Wold (1835 - 1937) (as Swell)
North Cotswold (1937 - 2006) (as Swell)
Gloucestershire (2006 - ) (as Swell)