|Alt names||Tivedele||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 150|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Hamlet|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Twyford Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Washlingstone Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Capel, Kent, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1883|
|Tunbridge Wells District, Kent, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Tudeley from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "TUDELEY, a parish in Tunbridge [registration] district, Kent; on the Southeastern railway, 2½ miles E by S of Tunbridge [railway] station. Post town: Tunbridge. Acres: 1,605. Real property: £2,606. Population: 547. Houses: 106. The property is subdivided. There are mineral springs, similar to those of Tunbridge-Wells. The living is a vicarage, united with Capel, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value: £238. Patrons: Viscountess Falmouth and Baroness Le Despencer. The church is tolerable. There is a girls' national school."
Tudely was an ancient parish partly in the Twyford Hundred and partly in the Washlingstone Hundred of Kent, England. It became a civil parish in the middle of the 19th century, but lost this status in 1885 when it was absorbed into Capel which had, in former centuries, been its chapelry. The area is now part of the non-metropolitan Tunbridge Wells District.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Tudeley, Kent, England | Twyford Hundred, Kent, England | Washlingstone Hundred, Kent, England | Capel, Kent, England | Tunbridge Wells District, Kent, England