- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Titsey is a rural village and a civil parish on the North Downs almost wholly within the M25 London Orbital Motorway in the Tandridge District of Surrey, England.
The closest railway stations is located 1.5 miles (2.4 km) south-west in Oxted which is also the administrative centre of the district. Approximately half of the land in Titsey is owned by a charity running the Titsey Place estate, with the remainder is a mixture of common and privately owned woodland and smallholdings.
Titsey covers a long tract which reaches up the southern escarpment of the North Downs, specifically to the highest point of the range, Botley Hill, which is in the parish. Springs in Titsey, rising at the foot of the chalk scarp of the North Downs, are the source of the River Eden.
The northern part of the parish has an altitude of around 230 metres (750 ft) north of the ridge of the North Downs. It is a dispersed settlement bordering Farleigh to the north and the London Borough of Bromley to the north-east. Biggin Hill is to the north-east. The boundary with Kent is 1.5 miles (2.4 km) east.
Titsey was part of the Godstone Rural District from 1894 until 1974 and of the Tandridge District since 1974.
Surrey Research Tips
Part of a list taken from GENUKI
Archives and Libraries
Surrey Cemeteries & Crematoriums
- Registration Districts in Surrey for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
Administrative boundaries of the county of Surrey (Surrey History Centre)
- In 1889 the County of London was created, and the areas of the modern London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth were removed from Surrey. The records of these areas are held either by the London Metropolitan Archives or by the local boroughs, but the Surrey History Centre holds pre-1889 Quarter Sessions records for this area.
- Also in 1889, Croydon was made into a county borough exempt from county administration. Croydon became a London borough in 1965, and most Croydon records are held by the Croydon Local Studies Library and Archives.
- In 1965 more of Surrey was lost to London, with the creation of the London boroughs of Kingston, Merton, Richmond, Sutton and an expanded Croydon. For these areas, records are held by the local boroughs (either in their archives or local studies libraries) or the Surrey History Centre. The London Metropolitan Archives may also have some material.
- In 1965 Staines and Sunbury were transferred from Middlesex to Surrey. In 1974 these areas became the new District of Spelthorne. Most records relating to the former Middlesex area are held by the London Metropolitan Archives.